PDA

View Full Version : Warning-gen Ex Pump Are Trash

cmoresps
12/18/2004, 01:00 PM
Wanted to warn you guys, and I meant to cover this at the meet, Gen Ex pumps are dangerous for your reef. The magnet on the impeller is made of some sort of recycled battleship metal or something, they RUST bigtime. I have four them. I guess the old addage is true, you get what you pay for. I will post a pic of the offending part shortly

Charlie Davidson
12/18/2004, 01:51 PM
Tom, Pm your # need bulb.

Atlantis Aquariums
12/19/2004, 11:39 PM
I Just pulled an 8500 apart and it went in the trash.Just shows I get what i pay for.

rufio173
12/21/2004, 11:43 AM
Hey Guys,

Let's not forget their gen-x PCX (pressure rated) line of pumps which seem to work very, very well. I've been using one for over a year and it still performs flawlessly. I was so impressed with the first one that I got another one and that also works very, very well.

The other lines though... I've always had my doubts :)

Peace,
John H.

strictly marine
12/23/2004, 02:00 AM
I got the 8500 in my fish only and I just pulled it apart after reading the post. It been running since I open and still looks like new. Can't say I have had any problems with them.

cmoresps
01/13/2005, 11:57 PM
BTW here is an update, I have been unsuccessful on locating the supplier to whine about the impelers, I finally took off my 6100 and it was fine, appears only the 4200 rusted

Aquaduck
02/21/2005, 12:29 PM
I cleaned my GenX 4100 a few months ago. There was one spot of rust the size of a kidney bean on the impeller. It rubbed off fairly easy though. A little iron in the water doesn't hurt anyway. Looks like I may start saving for an external pump anyway. I think the externals are far better. I'm going to have a look at it tonight and post a picture of the rust spot.

Another annoying thing about it... the pump sometimes has trouble getting maximum flow after it's been turned off. I have to start it two or three times to get it going full tilt otherwise it runs at half capacity.

Aquaduck
02/22/2005, 10:39 AM
Inspected my impeller last night on a 4100. 1 month after my initial discovery of rust there was barely any. A small 1/16" line of rust that easily scraped off with my fingernail. Nothing to worry about.