PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain question

JR719
12/17/2004, 11:02 PM
Sorry, new to "reef", been FOWLR for years. This question is about an open brain I am wanting to purchase but, just does not look right after seeing pics on this site. It has a nice green glow under the actinics in areas. There are areas that appear grey to white on the coral, is this normal? Both my kids always want me to buy one when we see it, but, is it healthy? What should I look for in a healthy open brain?

Thanks for any comments,
Jeff

davejnz
12/17/2004, 11:06 PM
it should be fully expanded,tissue should look healthy and not shriveled,it shouldn't be white but light mottled pigments are OK.There should be no visible skeleton except on the bottom of coral.It should also show feeding tentacles at night

JR719
12/17/2004, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, I am not able to see it at night. The store says it is healthy but, they are in the business of making money. The ones they have, show green about half of the surface, I am not sure if the rest is skeleton, have not looked very close. It does have alot of discoloration though. Is this ok? When we are there, it appears open with a little of it being shriveled.

davejnz
12/17/2004, 11:15 PM
sometimes they are mottled,but i'd check to see if the discoloration is something else.Alot of times,LFS dont keep them in idea conditions and the coral will appear unhealthy.

JR719
12/17/2004, 11:37 PM
Next time I'm there, I'll give it a good look then post what I've seen.
Thanks davejnz.
Jeff

davejnz
12/17/2004, 11:45 PM
another tip,is to check the underside of coral.It will be easier to see if the tissue is receding from skeleton. A conical shaped skeleton assures that it is a solitary,sand bed dwelling coral.If it appears jagged,then it likely was chiseled from the reef.Most Trachyphyllia geoffroyi(open brain) are collected from turbid waters and prefer reduced light and mod. currents as well as direct feedings.

JR719
12/17/2004, 11:48 PM
Thank you davejnz. I'll have them turn it over for me. If I buy one, I guess it is best to keep it under the shade of 250 MH?

davejnz
12/17/2004, 11:54 PM
yes,indirect/shaded halide lighting would be best.They say the green morphs like more light than the red's but i have no experience with the reds.My green does well under indirect halides as well as VHO/T5