PDA

View Full Version : Another freebie from Agu....

Agu
12/17/2004, 08:41 PM
Last monday Neil (manager of Venice Pets) and I went out seining for dwarf seahorses for a tank I had set up just for that purpose. We got 7 seahorses, and boy are they small. We also caught several other critters, most of which were returned to the bay.

I did however keep one pipefish, which was carrying babies. Proud papa delivered his payload. Somewhere north of 40 baby pipefish. Thanks to Brian G, he provided a rotifer supply for their first food until I gat a brine shrimp culture going.

Anyone want to try raising pipefish ? They're born live after being carried in the fathers pouch just like seahorses. They're just under 1" long and so far healthy, but there's no way I'm raising a school of pipefish in a 4 gallon tank.

Agu

flatzboy
12/21/2004, 07:36 AM
I'm interested but I'd have to set up a tank for them witch I wouldn't mind. What size tank would you think would be sufficient and I' might set up a 30g. reef with low flow for soft corals only. There will be only 10x turn over in it. Do you think they would live in there fine? Also the lights will be a 2x65 watt powercompact I'm not sure if pipefish do will in moderate lighted tanks.

Thanks