PDA

View Full Version : Added 2nd Marine Betta to my tank

OrionN
12/01/2001, 06:59 PM
My LFS got this Marine Betta in last week. He is a very beautiful, healthy MB that is only 2.5 inches long. This is about the length of my first MB when I bought him 4 years ago (now 6 inches). Anyway, I wanted to have breeding units of fish in my tank if possible. I bit the bullet and traded 7 Xenia frags and a Yellow polyp rock for this MB yesterday. 24 hrs in my tank and there is no fighting between the two in my 400 g tank. They don't hang around together either, but I settle for not fighting for now.
Wish me luck.

I have a question for those who are lucky enough to have pair of MB in their tank. Do they hang around each other or do they just get together for mating only? Thanks

Dwayne
12/01/2001, 09:17 PM
Good Luck Minh!

Dwayne

OrionN
12/02/2001, 08:55 PM
Thanks Dwayne.
Two whole days and still not fighting.
My smaller MB is still too young to pair up so I dont exect mateing dance anytime soon.:beer:

marieK
12/07/2001, 03:26 AM
Minh- I asked this question at Breeders Registry a while ago and was told they do not hang out together like clown pairs. What I am not clear about is if there is anyway to sex them. They do not change sex like clowns so you need a male and a female. Let me know if you learn anymore.- MarieK

OrionN
12/07/2001, 08:25 AM
Marie,
As far as I know there is no way to sex them. We just have to settle for a 50/50 chance of having a male and a female.

OrionN
01/02/2002, 11:15 PM
One month now and the two MB seem to ignore each other. I think this is a very good sign especially because one is only half as long as the other one.

mal37
01/03/2002, 07:16 AM
Keep us updated. I have two MB's also. I have one in my reef, and the other is in a FO tank. The reef MB is about 5", the other is about 3". I want to put them both in the reef, but wasn't sure if they would get along. You are the first person I know of that has done this. They are awsome fish. The one in the reef flares and swims backwards at me when I get close to the tank.:thumbsup:

OrionN
03/23/2002, 01:22 AM
update.
My MB are doing very well. The younger one is growning very fast. He is only about 1 inche shorter than the other one at this time.
The larger one of the two seem to have a large stomach. She may be full of eggs.
This evening, the smaller one seem to try to get the other one to join him in his den. She (I think) was not interested. they tolerate each other very well. There is no fighting between the to MB.

Dwayne
03/23/2002, 09:03 PM
Minh - Thanks for keeping us updated. It s really nice that some reefers are willing to take educated risk to advance the hobby. I wish you the best in you r efforts.

Dwayne

marieK
03/23/2002, 10:15 PM
Minh, other than the larger stomach- can you tell any identifying characteristics to tell male from female? Also what size tank do you have the 2 in and tank mates? My two bettas hang out on opposite sides. What did you feed the fry?- similar to clowns and dottybacks?

OrionN
03/23/2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by marieK
Minh, other than the larger stomach- can you tell any identifying characteristics to tell male from female? Also what size tank do you have the 2 in and tank mates? My two bettas hang out on opposite sides. What did you feed the fry?- similar to clowns and dottybacks?
There is no visible differences between the two Marine Bettas. They are not spawning as far as I know. I am not even sure I have a pair. My two MB also hang out on opposite side of the tank, but orcasionally get together. The larger one I had since 1997. I obtained the smaller one around the end of last year. He was about 2.5- 3 inches but is almost 5 inches now. I could not believe how fast he grew
The smaller one (I hope male) swim up to the other one (I hope female), spread his gill and fins out then turn and headed back to his hole slowly. When the other one does not follow, he did this repeatedly. After 5 or 6 times, the other one swim back to her side of the tank. I obsereved this behavior twice over the last two days.
My MB is in my 400 g reef tank. I have 20+ fish in this tank included:
1 Majestic angel
1 Yellow tang
1 Purple tang
1 Mimic tang
1 Powder Blue tang
1 Coral Beauty angel
1 Pair Cherub angels
1 African Flameback angel
4 Royal Grammas
1 pair Fire fish
1 Painr Mandarins
3 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Pink Skunk clowns
1 yellow clown goby
3 yellow tail blue damsels
1 pair Banggai Cardinals
1 Orchid Dottyback

I think I got everything there. Maybe there is a fish or five that I forgot :-)
You can see the tank by folowing my sig

Project Reef
09/08/2002, 08:43 PM
Hey Minh,

I have two marine bettas in my tank also. Physically, they look identical. Same patterns and coloration.

One is 2 1/2" - 3", while the other is 6". They have been together for a couple months now with no squabbles. They hang around each other sometimes, but other times they can be in seperate corners of the tank.

I'm not sure if I have a pair or not, but I can tell you that they are very good eaters. The larger one is not shy at all and will approach the tank as soon as he sees me. I feed them mainly PE frozen mysis every 2-3 days.

How are your MB's doing?

OrionN
09/09/2002, 01:15 AM
My MB's are doing very well. I am still not sure if I have a pair. I hve not seen them spawned yet.

Minh

jameso
09/09/2002, 11:28 AM
Look for an upcoming article in Advanced Aquarist on these fish.

www.advancedaquarist.com

Cheers
James Wiseman

reefcam
09/10/2002, 02:08 AM
ok, now I'm interested. Add me to the MB club :D

Just adding myself to the thread. Minh, keep updating.

maumau
09/25/2002, 07:42 PM
I bought 2 Marine Betta couple days ago. They are about 5 inches long. I bought them only because they look so beautiful. I admit that I'm a fool because I didn't do any research before I bought the fish. Now, after 2 days not eating (the MB, not me) and read so many articles about this type of fish, I'm worry.

Basically I have a 3 year old 180 gallon tanks, with a Sohal, a Yellow Tank, a Blue Tank, a Sailfin, a Huma and a Majestic Angel. I never feed them live food. Based on what I learned, I have to feed MB with live food. However, my work schedule don't possibly allow me to feed them live food daily. I can probably make it once a week. Also, other fishes in my tank, such as Sailfin (eats like a pig), Huma and Sohul will finish the food way before the MBs do.

Any suggestion what I should do? Return the fishes? Sell them to someone else?

Sorry for such a long post and Thanks a lot!

Project Reef
09/25/2002, 09:13 PM
There have been reports of marine bettas going MONTHS without any FEEDINGS whatsoever. If your tank has lots of ESTABLISHED live rock they will be fine for a while. Both of mine ate Frozen PE mysis shrimp and loved it. I fed them maybe once every other day or so.

www.Advancedaquarist.com , check out the magazine. There is a great article on marine bettas in this months issue.

Good luck, and remember MB are some of the Hardiest most disease resistant bullet-proof fish there are. Your fish will most likely be okay, knock on wood.

OrionN
09/25/2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by maumau
I bought 2 Marine Betta couple days ago. They are about 5 inches long. I bought them only because they look so beautiful. I admit that I'm a fool because I didn't do any research before I bought the fish. Now, after 2 days not eating (the MB, not me) and read so many articles about this type of fish, I'm worry.

Basically I have a 3 year old 180 gallon tanks, with a Sohal, a Yellow Tank, a Blue Tank, a Sailfin, a Huma and a Majestic Angel. I never feed them live food. Based on what I learned, I have to feed MB with live food. However, my work schedule don't possibly allow me to feed them live food daily. I can probably make it once a week. Also, other fishes in my tank, such as Sailfin (eats like a pig), Huma and Sohul will finish the food way before the MBs do.

Any suggestion what I should do? Return the fishes? Sell them to someone else?

Sorry for such a long post and Thanks a lot!
You seem to have lots of fish in a 180 g tank. Is this a Fish only tank or is it a reef tank?
In a fish only tank where there is a minimal micro-crustaceans population, Marine Betta will not do well against fast feeder like what you have in your tank. They are a much better reef fish. I would return them to the fish store.
MB’s are very hardy and can fend for themselves in a reef tank but unlikely to do well in a barren fish only tank unless feed well.
Update regarding my two MB’s. They are doing very well. It is possible that they are spawning but the nest is too well hidden for me to see the eggs. Maybe I get lucky one of these night and caught the fries when they just hatched. It looks like the female is the smaller of the two in my case.

maumau
09/26/2002, 01:53 PM
Thank you all for the reply and helpful info!
I have a fish only tank with no live rock.
I guess I'll try for a week and see how well the MBs are doing before deciding if I want to send them back.

BTW, including the 2 MB, I have altogether 8 fishes. Do I have too many for 180g? Just wonder...:)

BTW, good luck on your MB, wish to hear some good news from you soon!

OrionN
09/26/2002, 02:44 PM
In a fish only tank, the number of fish you have is OK I guess. However, it would be too much for a reef tank IMO.
MB are slow methodical feeder. They often stalk their prey before attack and swallow. They will not compete well with your other fish unless you over feed your tank.
Good luck

OrionN
11/24/2002, 11:08 PM
It is about 1 years since I added a much smaller MB to my tank with an establish 5 years old MB. I am sure that I have a pair at this time. I sometime observed courtship where the two swim one right behind and to the side of the other one. The one swimming behind shakes his fins as they nudge against each other. Too bad that the crevice they choose is behind my rock structure. Other than when they are spawn, the two MB ignored each other. I have a Banggai Cardinal living (grew up) in my Over flow box and he eats every larves that flow through there. I was not able to see any babies from this pair. I will have to try to get the Banggai Cardinal out of the over-flow chamber.
The younger MB really grew fast. At one year, they are identical. I cannot tell them apart.
I just want to up-date for everybody.
Minh

aLittletank
11/28/2002, 12:01 PM
thanks for the update! I have been following your thread for the last year.

BTW your Bangi will need a shrink when his world expands from an overflow to a whole tank! :D

Allen

OrionN
11/28/2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by aLittletank
thanks for the update! I have been following your thread for the last year.

BTW your Bangi will need a shrink when his world expands from an overflow to a whole tank! :D

Allen
My overflow box in 36X9X34. It is a rather large area full of rock, magcro algae. That was the reason I cannot catch him. I think there may be more than one Banggai there.
Minh

dgasmd
11/28/2002, 06:37 PM
Can youmpost a picture of these guys??

OrionN
11/30/2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by dgasmd
Can youmpost a picture of these guys??
I will see if I can take pictures of these guys in the act.
Minh

Baalz
12/02/2002, 12:56 PM
:eek: :eek:

mal37
04/11/2003, 02:32 AM
bump.

LotR Clown
08/21/2004, 11:47 AM
Cool thread....
any updates?