PDA

View Full Version : Candy cane opens in daytime only?

overgrownaquatics
12/15/2004, 04:15 PM
Hi, I bought a candy cane two weeks ago and every day since I got it, it has opened up only in the daytime and stayed closed all night. The polyps reach full extension by about 2 1/2 hours after lights on. By now it has gotten used to my light cycle of 10hrs on 14hrs off, and usually starts to close up about an hour before lights out. I thought these corals were supposed to be nocturnal. Is this unusual?

The dealer said the frag was from a colony that had fallen behind the rock in his display at home, and that it should eventually turn Blue (sweet). Right now it is mostly pink with powder blue highlights.

It has expelled zooxanthellia (sp?) twice in the past week: Once a few days ago when I repositioned it to expose it more to my 65w half-actinic PCs, and once again just yesterday when I was fortunate to aquire a free 175w metal halide from a buddy . I expect this is a normal reaction to a dramatic increase in light, and the coral is still reaching full polyp extension, so I think it is still healthy.

I suspect the 75w metal halide bulb I am using to be 4000k. Will this be detrimental at all? Both my candy cane and zoos seem to be opening up more under it than they did the PCs.

Could it be opening during the daytime because it has recently been starved for light? Do you think it will eventually stop opening during the day and return to a nocturnal pattern? Or will I be lucky enough to have one that shows it's stuff when I can see it?

Grayout
12/16/2004, 12:23 PM
My caulastrea frags open during the day as well. I wouldnt worry at all to see this behavior. I would be worried if it didn't show its feeding tentacles or if it wouldnt expand to its normal size. Just make sure you feed this guy, especially since it was not exposed to light for some time. It will definately need supplemental feeding.

overgrownaquatics
12/16/2004, 03:43 PM
So far I have not seen the feeding tentacles except for the day I got him...perhaps if I try stimulating it with food.