PDA

View Full Version : Office nano

SHOmuchFUN
12/14/2004, 02:49 PM
Well...
I was notified that I was going to be changing offices here at the Waterbury complex and I wasn't thrilled... The office is a bit smaller, but it's my own. I do have a window, but it looks out over the parking lot.

The people here know I'm into aquariums, so my supervisor said, why not just put an aquarium in here or something? :thumbsup: So I validated and he reconfirmed that I could do whatever I wanted with it... SOOOOOOooo.

I think I'm going to setup a nano in my office!!! I was looking at the JBJ nanocube "delux" setup that has PCs, filter, and pump built in. I want a unit that's going to do it all. I don't want to have to buy all seperate components. I also really like the idea of the mini-bows that are like 7 gallon desktop units. I'd like to keep a clown, or maybe a goby and then do some polyps!

What do you all think?

mogulski
12/15/2004, 09:38 AM
i think that it may sound like a pain in the butt to bring in RO/DI a few times a week, besides for that go for it. especially if someone else is paying the electric for it.

SHOmuchFUN
12/15/2004, 10:17 AM
Yeah, but I was thinking I'll just bring a 5gal bucket into work. I managed to score an old printer table that has enough room underneath it to store a HD 5gal bucket. I can only imagine I'd have to fill that up 3/4 of the way once every week or two. A 7-12gal tank can only evaporate SO much water. Especially if it has a cover.

My biggest concern is water changes. I was thinking I'd just get a couple rubbermade 1gal kool-aid type jugs. Take one out, and mix another and dump it right in. This is a once a week task. There's no need to be elaborate, just functional and aesthitical.

tsalter
12/15/2004, 01:11 PM
1 gal water jugs work well too.

T

SHOmuchFUN
12/15/2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah...

I still have that 20 too... Since that table is pretty large, I was thinking of setting up the 20, but really don't want to shell out the cash for all the liverock, especially since I dissassembled it once already and sold the liverock back taking a pretty good hit on it.

The way I see it:
20 gal - Free
Sand - Free
heater - free
powerheads - free
Light hood for softies - Needed ~ $100
Protein Skimmer - (Tried skimmerless, didn't work well) - Needed
Live Rock - ~30lbs = $150-200 or so at the LFS
Then all livestock

OR

Do the 12g JBJ nano cube - $170
INCLUDES: lighting, filtration, circulation
Sand - free
Live rock - ~15-20lbs = ~$100
Then all livestock

I don't know which one would be better?

Brad A.
12/15/2004, 04:39 PM
Watchout for people trying to feed your reef when you're not around.

tsalter
12/15/2004, 04:39 PM
if you want the 5 gal setup that I have and the hood you can have that to get ya started It needs better lighting but you could easily retro it. 5.5 is a great size for a few polyps and maybe one small fish

T

hands40
12/17/2004, 05:06 PM
I'd say go with the 20g, you could find rocks off of RC or from fellow reefers or grab some rock out of your display and seed some new rock in its place. If you go online, I'm sure a group order could be arranged with fellow reefers, so there are some options. Both are equally priced, but if you have an extra 20g, why not use it, more room for more stuff. You could use this area to grow some softies out. Great fish for this tank in my opinion, as I want to get one in my nano, is an angler fish. They do have a high waste, and difficult to have tank mates but interesting. Water changes/top offs should be no big deal, use water out of your main tank. Transport a NG bottle or a travel mug.