PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of or used Tankworks?

jmisztal
11/30/2001, 05:19 PM
Saw an add in the paper for acrylic aquariums and other items from a company called Tankworks. Anyone ever used them? Know anything about them? I believe they are around Hampden and Federal. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jimi

Jerry Gonzales
12/01/2001, 02:23 PM
I think they are fairly new. They took over the building that used to belong to Amiracle. Maybe I will stroll by there today and check out the prices and quality of tanks.

tkelsey
12/01/2001, 02:36 PM
I was by there a couple of weeks ago. I think Jerry is right, they actually took over the amiracle building. Looked like a nice shop. I am not sure if there quility is any better or worse then anyone else, sorry.

I had them price out a custom sump for me and there prices were really high. I think it was because it was custom. They have really good prices on there standard size tanks though.

They are open to the public on the weekends too.

HTH,
Troy

wanecek
12/07/2001, 03:00 PM
I am buying a 300 gal from Tank Works. I bought it through Reef and Pond. Some of the aquariums they have set up are built by Tank Works. They come highly recommended by Steve. I will let you and everyone else know how the aquarium comes out. It won't be until the beginning of January before I can set up the aquarium.

Thanks,

Mike

jmisztal
12/07/2001, 05:12 PM
I heard a nasty rumor that they might be going out of business. No confirmation - just a rumor at this time.... please treat it as such - I don't want to become the false rumor guy, but I figure people may want to know what's being said out there.

I would love to see the 300 when you get it. I live in Broomfield also, so maybe we can hook up....

Thanks!

Jimi

wanecek
12/08/2001, 01:09 AM
Steve, from Reef and Pond told me that the place has begun to stop making aquariums but that I was the last one to be able to get their order in. I probably would not have bought the aquarium but I trust Steve so I went ahead with buying the aquarium with them. He assured me that they would still build it for me and that their quality would not suffer.

It still worries me a little because it such a large amount of $, at least I bought it on my credit card so if I have any serious problems I can dispute the charge. With my experience with Steve though I doubt it will come to that.

When I get it set up you are more than welcome to stop by and see it.

Thanks,

Mike

Jerry Gonzales
12/10/2001, 08:55 AM
Mike, Are you going to have a warrenty on that tank. If he goes out of bussiness, you might be s.o.l. if something goes wrong with that tank. I would hope not, but you never know.

ojreef
12/10/2001, 11:08 AM
Hi Mike,

Jerry has a good point about the warrenty. If it's not to late and the price is right for you, you might want to look at the 300gl at Mile High Aquariums. It looks pretty good to me and it is a reef ready on sale for about $2199.00 including oak? stand and canopy. If I recall right, it has a brand label on it.:wavehand:

wanecek
12/10/2001, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your concern. I thought of this problem a lot and then some. I have been looking around for the past 3 months for a bigger aquarium. I have called Steve everyday so he can answer all my questions.

Then I decided to go for it. The reason why is I have bought tanks in the past with no warranty. For example, I have owned All Glass and Oceanic all my life and they both have a warranty for 5 or 10 years, if you buy their stands. All but one aquarium I have bought in the past I put on stands that I have built. So of course All Glass and Oceanic will not honor their warranty. I found this out the hard way when my All Glass began to leak. the pet store showed me the warranty but forgot to mention that I needed to buy the stand. So I had to buy another 55 gal. The pet store never helped me out even though they were not honest from the get go.

I have dealt with Steve a lot and I know a lot of other who have done the same and they trust him. I trust him too. Hopefully I won't get burnt by that trust but I doubt I will.

Now I did ask Steve what if I set this aquarium up and it begins to leak, or maybe it leaks only after a couple of weeks. He told me then he would be responsible and he would make sure he makes amends even if the place goes out of business.

I know I am taking a chance and I can only hope nothing goes wrong. I have looked at Steve's tanks that have been built by Tank Works and I think they are built very sound. In fact their craftmanship looks even better than some other acrylic aquariums I have seen. Check out the Reef and Pond 500 gal aquarium they have set up.

Thanks again for your concern. I have already made the purchase and they have already begun to build the tank so I guess I have made my own bed and now my $ and trust are in Reef and Ponds' hands.

When I do get it set up all of you will have to stop by and see it.

Thanks,

Mike

wanecek
12/11/2001, 11:59 AM
ojreef,

Was that an acrylic aquarium or glass? Do you remember the brand? I probably should not ask, because it will only add to my doubt.

Mike

tkelsey
12/11/2001, 12:03 PM
I was eye'n that tank too. It is an acrylic room devider, i.e. it has the overflow on one side. I can't remember who made it thought. Pretty nice looking tank, some bubbles here and there, but nothing big.

HTH,
Troy

BNesti
12/11/2001, 01:26 PM
Not positive, but I think that the 300G acrylic room divider aquarium at Mile High is a US Aquarium.

Bryan

wanecek
12/11/2001, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info. My aquarium is done now and go to pick it up on Thursday. I can't wait to get it set up so maybe I can stop worrying so much.

Mike

cris
12/12/2001, 12:57 PM
Hey Mike-

I bought my 300 gal 8'x24"x30" from tank works last month. I also went to Steve to place the order. The tank is great! The edges are clean and smooth. I had them drill two holes on each side for external mounted power heads and the even the holes are smooth and buffed. I have had no problems with anything. I think you will be pleased once you pick it up.

Cris

wanecek
12/12/2001, 10:31 PM
Thanks Cris for the words of assurance. You must be the guy Steve mentioned. Sounds like we have very similar set ups. I have two drilled holes for external powerheads too. I also had them set up a center overflow located in the back of the tank.

My aquarium is ready to picked up. I go to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Mike

Jerry Gonzales
12/13/2001, 07:37 AM
Mike, That sure is a big tank. WoW!! Just think of all the room for aquascaping you will have. I sure would like to see your tank when it is up and running. Have fun with your new purchase.
Jerry:D

wanecek
12/14/2001, 12:27 PM
Well, I got it last night and I have to say that it looks awesome. The edges are polished so when I reach into the tank I don't get all scratched up. The middle overflow looks awesome. Everything looks really great. Now I need to do some plumbing and put some water in it. I am sure one of these days I will be able to show off this aquarium.

Thanks,

Mike

jmisztal
12/14/2001, 12:36 PM
If you need help moving it, please let me know.

Jimi

wanecek
12/14/2001, 12:40 PM
Thanks!