PDA

View Full Version : Club web site

z28cam
12/12/2004, 10:00 PM
Just checking to see who in here can author websites besides me?

Stigmatic
12/12/2004, 10:37 PM
i would also be willing to as well. just let me know.

nilaszewski
12/12/2004, 11:40 PM
yea i have have designed a few pages as well. I can help you all out or do part of it.

z28cam
12/12/2004, 11:56 PM
Well lets post our strong points and see what we have to work with.

For me its

XHTML
CSS
Graphics

There are tons of free site providers out there so we could set one up at one of those places for now and a couple of us can work on it.

nilaszewski
12/13/2004, 12:11 AM
well if you know how you want it, i can definitly throw it up on the web and get all the links and stuff to work. Im good with ftp and places to host stuff. I am great with dreamweaver.

mrpink44
12/13/2004, 11:43 AM
Sounds like we have the club's web development team already together and working!!!

Aquabucket
12/13/2004, 11:56 AM
I have over 5 years web design experience and have a nice collection of java scripts, DHTML, backgrounds, gifs, etc..

I can also do some nice style sheets so the text looks the same no matter what browser or settings the viewer is using.

You can click on my red house to see a fish site I designed a few years ago.

The problem is I might be too busy to help much but I can look over the coding and make some suggestions.

slc
12/15/2004, 03:54 PM
Anyone familiar with CMS Content Management Systems or PHP?

At a later date once the club is established such a website might be nice.

I heard that the latest version of Dreamweaver may have some abilities also there are a number of free diy programs on the net. I am in the process of preparing our City Hall to move into an E-Gov arena. I have researched many CMS systems for our City. If you had a CMS website many various non-technical people could easily update any content on the fly with no more than a browser and maybe MS Word. Some systems incorporate user security so only designated people can change content and then those changes post to a designated "webmaster" for approval before the live website is changed if need be. That type of system would be ideal for your situation and greatly lesson the work of any individual responsible for the entire website. Take a look at the features for cms-master below.

This is one example ($129 one time cost-member donations?)
http://cms-master.com/about/overview
free installation-lifetime guarantee

also needed for the above:
your own 1st level domain name (example: www.fvrc.net or .com-godaddy.com $8.95yr)(www.fvrc.org is taken)

hosting site that supports php (godaddy.com-$9.95/month)
again-member donations?

Just passing along a thought.

slc
12/15/2004, 04:26 PM
Oops I just noticed that GoDaddy.com offers Mambo CMS software for FREE with the 9.95/mo web hosting.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/landing.asp?se=%2B&rhl=nv%5Fweb%5F%2Fregistrar%2Fsearch%5Fhost

scroll to "Free Software/Scripts" and click on "Free Linix Items"

nilaszewski
12/15/2004, 04:35 PM
i can update our website when we get it. Like i said b4, although i have crested numerous sites, my area of lacking is in the graphical stuff. Site design is not hard and im good with the mechanics of the site. Scripts and all that are also something i know. My strongest point is probably simply making sure the site has no broken links and runs well. Im good with FTP so if possible something i would definitly like to help put with is uploading and updateing things.

Stigmatic
12/16/2004, 12:47 PM
HTML
Graphics
ASP
PHP
Javascript
CGI
Java