PDA

View Full Version : Play Sand

lalleman
12/10/2004, 04:39 PM
Just found out today that the hardware store right next door to me sells play sand, 50lb bags for about 5 bucks. I know home depot stopped selling it but if anyone needs any, I can grab some for the next meeting or next time I make it up north.

Hedonist
12/11/2004, 10:09 AM
Do you know the brand. does it have the castle on the bag? Does it have silica in it?

dg

lalleman
12/11/2004, 11:59 AM
The brand is Amstone Play Sand, no idea about silicas. I have had that brand in my tank awhile with no problems so.... Oh, there is no castle on it either.

Hedonist
12/11/2004, 02:23 PM
Hmmm, sorry I was at work when I responded... the bag I have doesnot have a pix of a castle either but it is made by Oldcastle Stone Producst,is from the carribean and says tropical play sand, sterilized and silca free... oh yeah, of course not for aquarium use...... maybe I will do a google on Amstone play sand.. where is it made?
dg

cutting
12/12/2004, 03:17 PM
agway over by the lab sells the tropical playsand, silica free, granted that was over 6 mos ago when i last checked...

Chatouille
12/16/2004, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know of a source for tropical play sand in Northern Maine? (Aroostook county) Or a place/someone that might be willing to ship?

Chris

portcityreef
12/17/2004, 02:15 PM
Anna and I have four bags of actual southdown playsand at the store free for the taking. First come, first served. 1 bag per person just to make it fair. Going to the airport at some point to pick-up livestock today, so we may be out at some point. See you soon. We will post when they are gone.

Chatouille
12/17/2004, 02:45 PM
Any chance of getting one shipped?? Would be more than happy to cover all costs for shipping and packing.

Chris

Kevinnap
12/18/2004, 10:34 PM
Hi Chris,
I do know that the Home Depot here in Bangor has southdown, so I assume that the Home Depots farther north would too. Just remember you have to look outside, in the gardening department for it, the sillica based stuff is inside with the concrete mixes.

Kevin

Chatouille
12/18/2004, 10:51 PM
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply...

Unfortunately, there are no Home Depots north of Bangor. I also heard that Ace hardware carries a tropical playsand, but none up here have a listing for it.

Looks like I might have to take a 3 1/2 hour drive down. Are you certain that they have it on hand? Would hate to make the trip an come up empty. (reason I was hoping to find someone that had some, that was willing to ship)

Chris

Kevinnap
12/19/2004, 06:49 AM
Hi chris,
I will go by today and check.
I will let you know.
Kevin

Ewan
12/19/2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Chatouille
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply...

Unfortunately, there are no Home Depots north of Bangor. I also heard that Ace hardware carries a tropical playsand, but none up here have a listing for it.

Looks like I might have to take a 3 1/2 hour drive down. Are you certain that they have it on hand? Would hate to make the trip an come up empty. (reason I was hoping to find someone that had some, that was willing to ship)

Chris

Chatouille, where are you from?

I'm from Fredericton.

Chatouille
12/19/2004, 09:33 AM
Ewan-

I'm living up in Grand Falls right now. (where the wife is from) Moved here after I seperated from the USAF a few years ago.

Chris

Kevinnap
12/19/2004, 11:19 AM
Hey Chris,
The Bangor Home Depot has replaced it with some really crappy sillica sand, the did not have any southdown.
How much do you need, I have a bag in my garage that you are welcome to if you want it.
Kevin

Chatouille
12/19/2004, 11:32 AM
Kevin-

Thanks for checking HD. I was looking for a total of 3 bags, but will end up ordering caribsea sugarfine for whatever I can't get. I'll glady take you up on your offer for the one bag. (I'll PM you)

Chris