PDA

View Full Version : well, I don't Immagine I should...

Fishotch
11/29/2001, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty well decided that I'll have to wait till I graduate to keep an octopus, but I just wanted to check with some others who would know before I put the idea to bed. I'm planing on keeping a 29 gallon marine tank, w/LR and 2 percula clowns, but I would very much like to keep a small octopus instead, but don't think it would work for several reasons.

First, I would have to move the tank two and from school two times a year( a seven hour car ride would prolly stress the octo more than it does my oscar)

Second, Although i have a source of fresh seafood for the critter on the corner, Getting live food if it was needed might be difficult, esp nutritious live food(ie not goldfish)

Third and last, This would be my first marine tank, so I immagine I should start with something easier for now.

Basicaly, I just want to hear if you all agree with my assessment. It will make it easier to abide by for the next few years.

Thanks for your time

Nick

schmunkel98
11/29/2001, 09:37 AM
Nick,

First off, I would advise against moving any aquarium. However, if you must I guess it is good that this one is a smaller one. How do you transport your aquarium? Do you drain 75% - 90% of it and just stick it in your car or do you capture all the inhabitants and put them in plastic bags for the trip? Anyway, if you have to do this move twice a year, then getting an octopus is not a good idea. They do stress easily, and could die during one of your moves, especially if they ink in their bag. Also, live food is a must with these guys, especially when they are young. You need to have a local fish store around that carries snails, and crabs, and shrimp for them to eat. This could also run you a lot of money on a college budget. Finally, you might want to go with something a little less complicated for your first tank. I'm not saying someone shouldn't start with an octopus, but they do require a lot more equipment, food, and time than your average marine fish. You would need to have a sump and skimmer as a minimum, with a UV filter highly recommended. Again, these are a bit pricey for a college budget. I would just wait and get that nice big 150 gallon tank as a gradutation present to yourself.

Mike

cephalopoder
11/29/2001, 10:20 AM
Actually frozen shrimp defrosted is fine for octos. Live food is allways appreciated though. My mimic octopus from day one ate frozen shrimp 10 minutes after being introduced into the tank. I feel getting a new octo to eat asap is very important.
I dont use a sump, but they are nice to have for various reasons. My tank consists of a special plenum I swear by, made in utah with 6" of aragonite, live rock, a good skimmer, a mech filter for carbon and no UV filter. This system rocks and has im pressed me very much. A deep sand bed is very important if you have a sand dwelling species. They refuse to live in a pvc tube like a bimac and will sleep under the sand instead.
I would agree wait till your out of school before you get a octo. It will be well worth the wait. In the meen time read every old post on here on octos and any bit of info you can get your eyes on.
It will help you when the time to get a octo comes.

schmunkel98
11/29/2001, 10:30 AM
Hey Cephalopoder,

Any chance you have your own web page with some pictures of this setup? I have seen your octo on www.tonmo.com, but I really want to get more personal web site links. I mentioned this in another thread.

Mike

Fishotch
12/01/2001, 12:01 AM
I'll do that then... I had assumed it would be a better plan.

Currently i move the 55g freshwater tank by putting the occupants double bagged in a cooler and then drain the tank and put the substrate in buckets with the decor. i move the tank basicaly totaly empty.

Its a pain, but I just have an itch for fish, and i figure if i want to keep saltwater, i'd better get a degree so i can afford it. :p