PDA

View Full Version : fish selection suggestion

WILDTHING
12/06/2004, 05:18 PM
I'm looking for 1-3 sm fish to add to my 20 reef. It has a dwarf lion in there so the fish can't be tiny but needs to be small, I just need some movement in the tank. The lion is very cool but hangs in his crevice unless he thinks I'm going to feed him. Bio load is not an issue as this is plumbed with a 55 with a ....lets say 30-40 gal sump/fuge. Not into chromis and it can't be a wrass or pod eating fish as I already have a mandarin slated for that position. Would prefer that it not be a fish that likes to perch on the rocks as most of my frags are tiny and always on the verge of falling over.

I know that there are a lot of conditions to be met but I'm hoping there is little colorful guy(s) out there who would be the perfect fit.

AQUAN8TOR
12/07/2004, 12:48 AM
I've got a pair of tank raised gold-stripe maroon clowns if you're interested. The female is about 3", the male 1.5-2. How big is that dwarf lion????

If it's not too big, I'd suggest a royal gramma. I know it's common, and everything, but it's a great looking, hardy fish. Just make sure you get a good sized one b/c of the lion. If you hadn't mentioned the perching thing, I would've suggested a flame hawk, which unfortunately loves to perch, and swoop down to feed, just like its name implies.

WILDTHING
12/07/2004, 02:11 AM
The lion is still a little guy(if he keeps begging and I keep feeding him he won't be able to fit into his crevice much longer) He's 3 inches max, I think I remember reading that he will be about 5 eventually.

Hardy and common are fine with me, you're right royal grammas are beautiful, I don't know why I didn't think of them, I wish they got along with each other I'd love to have more than one in a tank. Another plus is that they are not shy, so I'll actually get to see him!

As for the GSM, I love them!! they are my favorite clown but they can have some non reef compatible habits.

I don't care what he knocks down a flame hawk is going in the 55g. I think you just mentioned 3 of 6 of my favorite fish!

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about a pair of cardinals but I think I remember them as being hiders.

colleen

AQUAN8TOR
12/07/2004, 09:01 AM
The cardinals are definitely hiders. I have a pair of flame cardinals in my 110; very bright, gorgeous fish, but I only see them at feeding time!!!!

bobherbertperry
12/07/2004, 11:24 PM
firefish are always an option, or a chalk basslet
any of the basslets

WILDTHING
12/07/2004, 11:35 PM
Firefish are very nice little fish but I think I heard that they like to carpet surf. If I remember wrong then I would love to have one.

Thanks for the tip about basslets, I'll do some research on them.

colleen

manderx
12/08/2004, 10:11 AM
black-cap basslets are one of my favorite-est fishies.

WILDTHING
12/08/2004, 11:08 AM
I got all excited about having a purple fish but the info I found on them said that they eat pods as well as meaty preparations. I gotta save every last pod for the mandarin. Down the line in 9mts or so I may be able to get one if my pods are doing well.

WILDTHING
12/08/2004, 11:36 AM
Actually now I'm not sure that that info is correct, I haven't seen it written about the other grammas. Do you see yours picking rock?

colleen