PDA

View Full Version : Hammer and Torch questions =)

AP7x
12/05/2004, 08:09 PM
Hello

I got a new Torch and Hammer coral.

They are on the sandbed now of my 125g w/ 3 250w MHs.

The torch is branching and the Hammer is a wall

Torch is in a flow where the left half of its polyps sway a good amount while the right side whips around....yet it's expanding more everyday and I think it reached its full potential in terms of how much it can expand. Should I move it? I mean...would it even expand more in a lower flow area?

The hammer coral...I have in a low flow area. Most of the polyps are out less than an inch from the base...so there isnt much "flowin" ...but a couple polyps on one part have polyps extended out an inch or two.

Should I try putting it in a higher flow area like the torch to see more expanding? It's a large piece....like 6" across and sections that branch off the "wall"....

Also - I dont know exactly how to mount this coral. Branching torch..I just stuck in the sand. THe wall..I stuck in the sand but it is formed so that when I stick the base in, some of the sides of the structure rub into the sand. Any pictures would be great...

Thanks =)

Julio
12/05/2004, 08:40 PM
they should both be in low to moderate flow areas, keep an eye on your torch and make sure the tentacles are not strechted out due to the flow.

porky
12/08/2004, 11:11 AM
I agree w/Julio low to moderate flow on both.
You could always try swapping the 2 it sounds like the torch is getting plenty of flow and the hammer maybe not enough. IME, the torch corals will tolerate less flow than a hammer and I think it's because of the length of the tentacles they can get pretty long. So maybe swap them and see how it goes.
As far as mounting, with the branching euph.'s I have always found it easiest to stick the "base" into a hole in a rock or in your case the sand. That one is easy. As for the walls they can be harder to place. Of course you want to maximize viewing the coral. I think that with the wall, placing it in the sand, would, like you have said, cause some flesh to rest on the sand and I don't know if that will irritate the coral or not. I would try and place it in the rock work, probably in the lower half of the tank. I have had the best luck placing walls type corals between 2 rocks. So that the wall is kind of wedged into a secure location.
Good Luck!