PDA

View Full Version : Light link?

Hedonist
12/05/2004, 07:23 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2552244#post2552244

Not sure if this worked... maybe one day Rob should give us a class on using RC...

I tried to post a link on PAR, LUX and CRI

I think I will purchase a LUX meter which appears to measure light output as the human eye see it, however a PAR meter reads all the wavlength put out, includeing the blues.. I understand the human eye does not see this WL...

When I get my meter I am going to test my PC at about 6 mo old (uncleaned and then cleaned), I will then test with new bulbs......Perhaps we can do a test on the tank at the lab... we can test the older NO bulbs there, replace bulbs with new ones and then maybe put a PC over the tank and if anyone has a spare MH :D
we can test that light output.....???

I wonder if anyone is interested in chipping in for a PAR meter for the club to use.. these are expensive but will be a great asset.... perhaps we can work it out so that once we have funds, those that put in for it will be reimbersed??????

Later
Denise

cabin
12/05/2004, 07:23 PM
Glancing at Rob's posted article by Mike Kirda, I'm questioning whether the LUX meter is worth buying, and thinking that if maybe 10 of us put in $30 each we could get the PAR meter from Apogee that the article discusses. You probably want to check your lighting twice a year and anytime you make a change. It seems that with a combo of club meetings and mail as an exchange method, we could share this device and really gain useful information. What do you all think?

Ewan
12/05/2004, 07:45 PM
I agree.

If we are to put money in to a tool for the club, it would certainly be a wise decision to invest in the tool that will give up more meaningful numbers.

Additionally, I plan on having a lux meter for myself anyway. I feel that comparing the reading a lux meter would give me against the numbers recorded shortly after a lamp change would be useful for planning lamp changes. I think a PAR meter [such as the apogee] would be much better when comparing between different light sources.

As such, I think a tool for measuring PAR would be a good asset for the club.

jm$.02
-R.

Hedonist
12/05/2004, 09:41 PM
I am thinking like Rob is... I would be more that happy to go in on a PAR meter as well as get a lux meter for myself!

If we get enough interest by the nex tmeet maybe the PAR meter will happen..

denise

reeflovers4
12/09/2004, 09:15 AM
Nathan and I would contribute to the "cause" I would like to test my lights also ~ !

Kathy