PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium Level

rick s
12/04/2004, 08:28 PM
Hello all,

Since I wasn't able to find a Salifert Magnesium Test Kit locally for a while, Nate was gracious and let me borrow his Seachem kit.

I am at 950. The Seachem Magnesium instructions say, "Do not raise the level more than 100mg/L per day.

I am going to up my tank 40mg/L, every other day. Sound good? Not too agressive? Too weak? Can I raise it more?

I'm shooting for around 1250. . . correct?

Also, if any LFS gets in a Salifert Magnesium Test Kit, please put it aside with my name on it and PM me. I want to compare a Salifert to this one while I have it.

Thanks,

prop-frags
12/05/2004, 02:20 PM
Rick, I think there's not a ton of research published on Mag levels, but I keep mine around 1300. Right now, I'm dosing tech-M. I would go conservative on changing the levels, like you are doing. I just think moving any water chemistry parameters quickly is asking for big trouble...

Charlie Davidson
12/06/2004, 07:27 AM
R&R, Ditto Mike, Tech-M @ 1300- for a long time I could not get coraline alage to grow - found I was low on mag.
You do not have to check it very often. once a month?

BTW, guys. don't blast me to badly, I have used/ tried epson salt . (Randys 2 part) Anyone know of a reason not to use it?