PDA

View Full Version : Please sex this Bangaii

scott324
11/27/2001, 11:00 PM
Hello all,

I just got a dig camera and was hoping someone could help me sex my bangaii. I know its difficult, so I looking for best guesses. THanks all
scott

afss
11/28/2001, 07:50 AM
I find it difficult to tell without the two sexs being side by side, but If i had to guess, I would say its a male.

Scott

Guy
11/28/2001, 12:25 PM
I see a scar from a past split lip so I'll say female... At least one of us is right! LOL

Mine is just a WAG, that's all

Rick O
11/28/2001, 06:33 PM
I'm guessing male, based on some of Frank's writing (http://breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/Articles/v4_i4_marini/marini.htm) . I'm basing this on the squared jaw. Of course that's just a guess.:)

afss
11/28/2001, 06:43 PM
I just went down to my tank and took a look at my male and female. I would say 95% that its a male, for the same reason rick O said. The squared jaw, but by the same token I have seen my female puff her jaw out.

Scott

npaden
12/04/2001, 10:25 AM
I actually laughed out loud on this one! ;)

I looked at the pic and said to myself - looks like a female because of the straight lower jaw line. Then read the responses that others thought it was a male because of the squared jaw!

I had actually thought I was getting good at guessing based on the jaw line. To me the females head makes a triangle with the top of the face and the bottom jaw line. The male has a more rounded jawline instead of a straight line on the female. Think of it as being slightly curved to hold all the future batches of eggs.

I'm with Guy though on this one. Someones right! (Just no idea to tell who it is!) ;)

Rick O
12/04/2001, 06:49 PM
I'll admit that I don't know what I'm talking about with regard to sexing banggai's. I just looked at the pics in Franks article and guessed based on comparing the pics. The suspense is killing me waiting for Frank to tell us what he thinks.:)

Sally
12/05/2001, 04:15 PM
My guess is that it is a female..because the body looks more rounded...just a guess..

Laura D
12/05/2001, 05:38 PM
The owner of my LFS breeds banggais. He has a great success rate with sexing them. What he does is puts them in a specimen container, and looks through the bottom at their genital area.

He showed me what he said was a male and a female side by side, and there was a noticable difference. The male's "area" was a very small, neat slit, and the females was slightly larger and a little puffy.

I have never seen anyone mention this type of sexing before, but the male he sold me indeed turned out to be a male, even though he was very young when I bought him and had not yet grown his banner fin.

FMarini
12/05/2001, 06:41 PM
Mulberry:
brilliant. I have never heard of this, nor thought of looking there. I for one...actually haven't looked at the vent of these fish.
I will have to check it out this evening.
thanks
frank