PDA

View Full Version : Banggai Success rates?

afss
11/27/2001, 09:32 PM
Just curious as to what percentage of a school of fry you have managed to raise to adulthood? I am on my first school. The male had one other, but due to time constraints I was forced to give them to a felow reefer for him to try. I believe his rate was 6 out of 25.
My banggais are currently +/- 2 weeks old. I started with 35, and believe I know have 34. Found one dead this evening.
Water quality shouldn't be a concern with mine as I have their tank plumbed inline with the main tank. Its kinda like haveing a 10 gallon tank with a 90 gallon sump.
Any advice on what to do/not to do?
Thanks
Scott

FMarini
11/28/2001, 06:42 AM
scott:
i posted all my data on total clutches of fish, survival of fry and the like in the 97 reefs.org article. Since then my sucess rate approached greater than 95% survival. The key is getting top quality nutrition to the fry when young and once they are 2-3weeks of age weening them over to eat prepared amrine foods. Once they are eating dead foods (like shaved shrimp, etc) these fish grow like weeds, and I have never experienced SFS since.
Hopefully the use of prawn eggs will eliminate the hassle of BBS, and provide an adequate 14-20days of nutrition which will give the banngers a great head start.
I hope others post here and give there results as well.
frank

afss
11/28/2001, 07:49 AM
I had to feed mine baby brine for the first 3 days, then i started mixing in dead frozen baby brine. By around the 6-7 day mark all were eating the frozen.
Now that they are at 2 weeks, what else can i start trying?
Thanks
Scott

Guy
11/28/2001, 12:19 PM
My latest batch of 20 had a 100% success rate. I attribute this to the use of prawn eggs (the technique discovered by Randy I think). They grew so wekk that they were a saleable size within about 2 months....a whole month earlier than my previous batches of fry.

Brad A.
11/30/2001, 03:15 AM
Out of two batches I lost one banger who was born without a tail (genetic freak). I'm now waiting for my third batch to be released. oh, I raise them in my 20 gallon sump/refugium. They maybe eating more than just newly hatched brine. The sump is full of algae. Its one of those miracle mud calurpa filters (home made of course) full of copepods and such.

Brad

goettemm
12/10/2001, 02:48 AM
Where do you get shrimp eggs?!? I have 3 batches in a 20 gallon tank (90+) fry and can't seem to get them converted to anything other than live brine. Do I cut them off cold turkey and make them hungry enough to go after frozen? My oldest are around 4 1/2 months old now...

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Mike

afss
12/10/2001, 07:47 AM
what i did was, at around 1 weeks old, start mixing in a bit of frozen baby brine. Then every day i would add more frozen and less live. At around 2 weeks they all seemed to be onto FBB then i started to mix in a bit of the home made food that i feed to my reef. and slowly uped that so that more and more was the home made stuff. They are at about 3 weeks now, and most go after the home made stuff first and then the FBB. There are a few straglers that seem to still only go for the FBB, but i am planning on only feeding the FBB every 2nd day soon to try to coax them off it.
Hope this helps
Scott

NuccaTree
12/17/2001, 01:47 PM
What is the best way to section out a sump area. I have a 30g that is sectioned for a 3-chamber sump. +/- I am wanting to start playing with breeding the bangii and also brime shrimp. Any directions on how to proceed. My sump is still dry so it would be easy at this moment to make additional chambers.

Thanks

afss
12/17/2001, 04:24 PM
personally i would make a seperate 10 gallon or so tank. I think the flow through a sump would be too much for them when they are young, I could be wrong though

Scott