PDA

View Full Version : UV Steralizers

Shikaroka
12/03/2004, 11:17 AM
Do you guys use a UV steralizer on your reef tanks?
How about a fish only tank, anybody got one of those?
If you got one, what's the specs? And, do you run it all the time?
I'd like to hear some experiences and opinions.

LowCel
12/03/2004, 11:19 AM
Here is a great link (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=479092) to a thread that is going on right now discussing them.

I am debating getting one for my tank so I am following it and many others.

Shikaroka
12/03/2004, 11:22 AM
Cool, Thanks!
I guess I should get outside the Club Forum every now and then.

LowCel
12/03/2004, 11:24 AM
LOL, now why on earth would you want to go and do that??? :lol:

firefish2020
12/03/2004, 12:01 PM
I use one on both SW tanks including the reef and have seen no ill effects other than a decrease in algae :) Of course the debate goes on and on about UVs not making a real difference but I can tell when it's time to replace the bulb just by watching algae growth increase.

Shikaroka
12/03/2004, 12:06 PM
Good info. Well, I got one, so I'm going to use it on my FO for now. I was just curious what you guys thought. I may get another for the future reef tank.

LowCel
12/03/2004, 12:12 PM
What really impresses me is that if you are running a high enough quality one that you may have to sort of acclimate your tank to the lights again. Supposively it can make your water so clear that it makes your lights more intense.

BTW, I am getting this information from various sources. Some of the people that have been involved with the hobby for 10 - 30+ years.

Here is one of my favorite quotes about them. This is from Bomber.
Well I do and I wouldn't run a tank without one.

Advantage: clear water, no fish disease, no coral warfare, keeps aquarium water closer to NSW levels on pathogens, helps to control water borne algae, - then there's the whole organic/phosphate thing but don't ask me it's too much to explain -

Disadvantage: water's too clear, I don't get to order fish remedies, my stinking corals never die so I'm stuck with what I have, I only have to clean my glass about once a month, and my corals grow too dang fast.

but then I'm biased. :)

LowCel
12/03/2004, 12:18 PM
Ron, are you turning your UV off when you feed phyto?

Shikaroka
12/03/2004, 01:56 PM
Yeh, I read that. It sold me.