PDA

View Full Version : Question about Candy Cane Coral

Chino
12/02/2004, 11:01 PM
I just basically need to know all the needs of this LPS coral. Supplements, feedings if necessary, flow, light intensity? This is my first and only LPS in the tank. My tank about 5 months old. All my softies are doing well also. Right now it's in the sand in the highest indirect flow area of the tank. My tank is a 20g with 2X65 power compact fixture on it. Parameters are amm, trites =0, trates=5ppm, pH=8.3-8.4, salinity= 1.025 temp=79 degrees. I know I need to test for cal and alk but dont have tests kits for them. The only supplements I dose for the tank are Kent Phytoplex, Micro-Vert, Pro buffer dkh when necessary, and Coral-Vite. Just did 25% water change today also. Thanks in advanced for any help.

impur
12/03/2004, 01:54 PM
I have found this coral to be very hardy. Mine has been in my tank for 8 months, grown from 3 heads to 15+. I very rarely direct feed it, it does catch some of the food in the water column from when i feed the fish. I dose 2mL B-ionic alk but this is mainly for my SPS. I also have mine on the sand in medium current. You will find it doesn't like high current i think. Great coral IMO. What color is yours?

Heres mine shortly after feeding the tank:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/impur/PB180060.jpg

Chino
12/03/2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply and the advice. My candy cane is like a maroon with a green-ish or turquoise color in the center under my lights. I guess its the one people refer to as red and green.

impur
12/03/2004, 07:54 PM
Ahh yah, those are nice too. Its really hard for these guys not to thrive IME!! Good luck.