PDA

View Full Version : December Meeting

Spykey
11/27/2001, 04:07 PM
Are we going to have a theme or main discussion at the December meeting? I have a few ideas, but I'd like to know if anyone else has any ideas first?

Larry

amonhen
11/28/2001, 09:25 AM
Oh, Larry, I'm full of discussion ideas. :D

1. I am in the process of filling my new 180 with water, and I'm starting to thing about aquascaping. What I'd like to do is have more open water and sand space than I see in most tanks. I'd love to hear what other approaches people have used to making structures out of live rock, and approaches to aquascaping in general. Specifically:

a. Did you have a plan ahead of time or just arranged what you got when the box came? Did you have a general approach or just make it up as you went along?
b. Did you use any support under the rock or just lay it on the substrate (I am thinking of using pvc 'pilings' that are a bit shorter than the surface of the sand.)
c. Did you use epoxy, eggcrate, zip ties, etc., to hold the rock together or form any sort of superstructure?

I'd be happy to lead a discussion about this, with the stipulation that I am nobody's expert.

2. Do you grow out frags in your main tank or do you have a seperate setup for this? I'd like to hear people's experiences in doing both, advantages and disadvantages of both.

I think I'll leave it at that for now.

--Jeff

amonhen
11/30/2001, 04:35 PM
Do we have a meeting place for December? I can't seem to find the PARC website.

Spykey
11/30/2001, 04:46 PM
Jeff,

It's at the Drexel Library.

The new website is:

http://www.greenmariner.8m.com/sched.htm

glh7767
12/04/2001, 07:35 PM
hey jeff. here's a sure fire way to have more open water space than the rest of us have: PUT IN LESS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't have all that rock piled around, there's more water available. seriously, you might want to take a couple of approaches in your arrangement to provide more space. you saw in my tank i set rock up as one big reef. a different option would be to have 2 or 3 completely separate islands of rock, say two in the background and one in the foreground. gives you a lot of room for coral arrangement, gives the fish a longer track to swim around. and you can always make tunnels by connecting the islands later with long pieces of tonga branch later. another concept that work well is to arrange rock into small finger reefs. i wouldn't put in any more rock than is necessary. i'm going to be taking some of mine out, i've got too much in there.