PDA

View Full Version : Feeding frenzy

Gamera
11/27/2001, 01:17 PM
The mutatus that I have is certainly accustomed to his tank now. At least, I think so.

It's gone through one molt already, with success. Both raptorial appendages are still there and functioning.

I've now incorporated the freeze-dried krill into the diet which gets taken instantly. For now I'm rotating on scallops, shrimp pellets and the tetra Krill-E stuff. The dried krill really have quite an odor...

:rolleyes:

The color change as been astonishing. The mantis was a very dark green color when I got it, and it's changed to a light rust color with a dark green marbled in it. The raptorial appendages are still a ligt green with small black spots on it.

Just as a question for the good doctor:

When feeding te freeze-dried krill, do you coat them in any supplements, like Selco, before feeding?

And is this color change normal after just one molt?

Thanks!

Fcamdog
11/27/2001, 07:53 PM
Sounds like an awesome mantis!

Gonodactylus
11/28/2001, 12:32 AM
If the tank has different colors than the animal had experienced, such color changes can occur in a single molt, particularly in females. Male G. mutatus change color less dramatically.

I usually don't use Selco or other supplements unless I'm trying to promote egg-laying in a female.

Roy

Gamera
11/29/2001, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info.

I haven't been using any additives in the diet, and the mantis seems to have grown a little bit. Oddly enough, the Mantis seems to migrate between two homes he's got. There's a large flat shelf that's very slightly concave that makes a nice little cave, and an ajoining piece of rock makes a very tiny cave. Lately, I've been seeing the shrimp dig under the smaller cave and move back and forth.

Normal behavior?

Also, I assume due to the very striking color change, the G. mutatus I have is a female?

Thanks again!

Gonodactylus
11/29/2001, 11:39 AM
It is not uncommon for Gonodactylaceus mutatus to use more than one cavity in the field. They may use one most of the time and spend the night in it, but use others during the day for feeding, etc.

A few species such as Odontodactylus havanensis build and maintain multiple burrows, often up to 2 meters apart. We know that these serve as escape refuges in the field, but I also suspect that they play a role in the mating system. It is something that I'm actively studying right now. I have several O. h. in 125 gal tanks and most have constructed two to four burrows.

Roy

Gamera
11/30/2001, 01:26 PM
So out of spite and as punishment, I banished three small camel shrimp (about 1.5 inches max) to the tank with the mantis.

Considering the mantis is about 2-3 inches, would the mantis go after the camels if it got hungry enough?