PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with acrylic?

ChloroPhil
11/30/2004, 06:57 PM
I'm getting the pieces for a sump cut and will have them by Saturday. Would anyone here be able to help me get it put together at the meeting? I've never worked with acrylic on something like this before. It's going in my livingroom so it has to be perfect, no chance of leaks or busting seams at all.

Thanks,
Phil

baz
11/30/2004, 07:10 PM
talk with saberman aka dave he will be there sat he made my sump for me

ChloroPhil
12/01/2004, 05:45 PM
That's an invalid username. Is he going by that name, but has a different account name? I'd like to pm him ASAP.

Thanks,
Phil

baz
12/01/2004, 05:47 PM
sorry his official name on here is Sabreman0001. He maybe out of town but will be back for the meeting Saturday.

Baz

dknape
12/07/2004, 03:21 PM
I've worked with acrylic. Here are two of my creations...

http://www.dustinsreef.com/dbImages/{13FFCB98-C95C-419B-82FF-05A423D16EF5}_sumpinaction.jpg

Not completly finished here. Need to find a finished pic of it.
http://www.dustinsreef.com/storage/reactor04.jpg

I don't mind helping out where able to. Just PM me.

ChloroPhil
12/22/2004, 07:58 AM
Dave just dropped the sump off yesterday and I must say "Beautiful!". He's had a super busy schedule lately and was good enough to take the time to make the perfect sump for my setup. He added the nice touch of a black back wall so I can see inside it better. If any of y'all are looking to get some acrylic work done he's the man.

I'll have pictures up and running after I get the plumbing tweaked.

Best,
Phil

Sabreman0001
12/27/2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words Phil....

ChloroPhil
12/27/2004, 03:10 PM
You're very welcome Dave. I did have to make one slight modification and Dremel out the corner that was getting bubbly. With the flow going through the sump it was just too much. The salt creep would have been insane and the noise was significant. Now there are 1x1" lips that will allow better flow in that little corner. We'll see how it worked out soon!

Thanks again,
Phil

Sabreman0001
12/27/2004, 05:04 PM
Phil,

I am not sure I follow...which corner did you dremel,,,,where the water enters from your tank?

-Dave

ChloroPhil
12/28/2004, 08:45 AM
The corner of the baffle with the holes drilled in it between the rear wall and the refugium area. The bubbles were lifting water almost out of the sump and creating a LOT of spray on the lid. With the modification the bubbles are still there but they're not creating as much spray and aren't lifting as much water.

The 1.5" separation was a design flaw on my part, if you do something like this again in the future there should be at least 3" between the wall and the inner baffle.

Best,
Phil