PDA

View Full Version : Good luck and bad luck all in one

mr294
11/30/2004, 10:52 AM
So i wake up at 4am to the sound of an alarm going off in the basement. I rush downstairs and hear a hissing sound. Just as I turn on the lights, water starts to spill over the edge of the tank, so I quickly unplug everything. Well here is what happened. My new Won Bros titanium heater (CRAP) decided to stick on and melt the side of my acrylic sump causing the smoke detector to go off. By some weird act of chance, at the same time a snail had blocked my overflow and my tank was about to overflow. So if my heater hadn't decided to fry, my sump could've completely emptied and I never would've known. At first I thought maybe the heater or temp probe was partially out of the water, but even with about a gallon on the floor, they were both still well below the water line. So this is two heaters down in less than a month :mad2:

manderx
11/30/2004, 12:09 PM
i love my temp controller. plus, i swear my power bill went down a little when i started using it.

Alarmguy66
11/30/2004, 12:18 PM
I must be some weird exception. My heater NEVER comes on except after a water change. Other than that my pumps, lights and room temp are keeping the tank at a steady 81 degrees.

Charlie Davidson
11/30/2004, 02:21 PM
Brandon, My won heater cooked my fish at the river while I was gone a few weeks ago! I had hear some good things about them so I did not mention it here. Guess I will not by another one!

strictly marine
12/02/2004, 10:33 PM
All I have to say it stay away from titanium heater. All of the Genx heater I have are going back to them. They get too hot if there is not water. They also sometimes explode. BTW if you got a GENx heater from me, please bring it back for an exchange at not charge.
The only titanium heaters I have luck with seems to be the via aqua.

AQUAN8TOR
12/02/2004, 11:49 PM
holy SH%*!!!! that sucks, brandon. Sorry to hear about that. I guess I'll be putting chiller/heater controller on my priorities list to get done. wow. That really sucks, man.

AQUAN8TOR
12/02/2004, 11:54 PM
FWIW, the first won brothers I bought didn't work. I got a replacement free, but now I'm thinking that free always comes with a price.