PDA

View Full Version : what do you all think could be wrong

msu
11/27/2004, 08:24 PM
yesterday i noticed both colt corals had shriveled up. they had both looked great untill then. i tested my water and everything looks to be good. there are other softies in the tank but nothing less looks bad in fact everything else looks great. could one of the other softies released some toxins and poisoned them?

pappygonefishin2002
11/27/2004, 10:01 PM
possibly chemical warfare, I had a bunch of these little polyps growing on a rock , had long bubble tipped sweeper tentacles. I kept noticing my leather finger all shriveled up. I then noticed a fine line of what looked like a cob web wrapped around it, and other corals, took a chop stick and removed it all, 5 minutes later same thing , those little polyp things undoubtedly stinging with that web! Physically removed them from the rock no more problems. Check closely to see if this might be happening to yours, I dont know what those little polyps are but they are on a lot of live rock and will grab food , I honestly liked em but they had to go! That is the 1st time ive seen this happen Ive always had some in every tank but it was unreal how fast this slimy thread could be released. Id removed a couple foot of it before this but didnt know where it came from, maybe they were spawning who knows but keep an eye out, might be the same thing happening to yours

firefish2020
11/27/2004, 11:53 PM
You need to insure that the corals are not touching each other, also check the rock they are on and make sure there are no anemones hiding in it and stinging the coral(s). Also colt is a broad term for many tree corals and most tree corals go through a sloghing period from time to time where they shrivle up and shed their outer slime layer. It lasts a few days and when the coral comes out of it it will appear bigger at times. You also may need to add some supliments or do a water change. TO much iodine can couse this as well as not enough iodine. There are a million reasons as to what could be causing this just watch it and see if it recovers after a few days, if not it could be water quality.

Shikaroka
11/30/2004, 04:59 PM
Yeh, mine does this about every couple weeks. It just keeps getting bigger.

1package
12/01/2004, 08:58 AM
I agree with Ron, if you have changed nothing and there are no obvious water issues - wait it out. I see this all of the time with the leathers and tree type corals - they always spring back.

Ijoshjoycei
12/04/2004, 09:53 AM
Eh mine does that as well and every time it gets bigger and splits main stalk is bout 6in round and 18in tall... with many fraged off stalks from it...