PDA

View Full Version : Catching a clown

LowCel
11/27/2004, 11:44 AM
Well, just thought I would post that I am now on day three of active duty trying to catch my clarkii clown. I really don't want to tear the tank down to get him out of there and I have no intention of using a hook so I am doing it a very, very patient way.

Day 1 - On Thursday I began my mission. I placed a net in the tank during feeding time. The clown never came out of the rock. I am feeding frozen brine via a turkey baster. I just let the brine come out very slowly right in front of the net. The first day my chromis would eat the brine but very cautiously.

I left the net dangling in the tank to help everyone get used to it.

Day 2 - Friday I bed the tank some flake food right in front of the net. At this point the chromis, hawk fish and royal gramma all came out to eat. They were all getting very close to the net. Later on I fed some frozen brine. At this point the chromis paid absolutely no attention to the net. The hawkfish just darts around like always and the royal gramma started getting very close to the net.

I left the net dangling in the tank again.

Day 3 - Saturday I fed the tank some frozen brine. At this point the chromis and the royal gramma couldn't give a crap about the net. They all just go into it to get food. The clarkii is getting much closer to the net at this point. He is coming within inches of it. A couple of times I could have attempted to catch him but I don't him to become afraid of the net. I'm thinking that in another day or two he will just go right into it.

As of right now the net is just hanging in the tank. Right now there are two chromis in it playing.

I'll update this as soon as something else happens. Keep in mind that I have to be very careful with the net. In a tank dominated by sps it is very easy to break corals. Talk about testing my patience, I think this is worse than waiting for a tank to cycle.

firefish2020
11/27/2004, 12:59 PM
LOL, well at least your going about it the responsible way. Let him go in a few times before trying to get him you might only get 1 shot at this (no preasure) :)

LowCel
11/27/2004, 01:59 PM
I'm not in any real hurry to get him out so I'm definately not rushing it. I'll get him evenutally.

Curtis1
11/27/2004, 11:08 PM
I'm here, if you need the big guns !!!!

1package
11/29/2004, 05:01 PM
Your patience is a virtue grasshopper. I have a minnow trap and a harpoon (with a sterilized tip) - say the word, they are yours.

LowCel
11/29/2004, 05:20 PM
LOL Thanks guys, if it comes to it you will be the first to know.

The clown is getting a little closer every day. The royal gramma on the other had went into the net completely again today. I went ahead and scooped him out. He is now in my nano tank. He is an aggressive little guy as well and I have actually seen him nip at my mandarin a couple of times. On top of that he eats pods. I would rather the mandarin gets all of the pods in the tank.

It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow. Heck, it may not even be next month. But I will catch that clown!!!! :D

If this doesn't work I'm grabbing the 12 gauge.....that'll get him!!!!!

pappygonefishin2002
11/29/2004, 08:05 PM
Curtis woulda had that outta there in a heartbeat!

LowCel
11/29/2004, 08:33 PM
LOL, I have no doubt.

On a side note. Now that the royal gramma is out of the tank my mandarin is all over the place. I saw the gramma bite the mandarin 3 or 4 times. I guess I would have been hiding some too if I was him. :)

LowCel
12/01/2004, 09:35 PM
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally caught the little jerk! To make it better I even had a witness. Ron was here for the big moment.

Here he is now, in his new home.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/clarkiinano.jpg

firefish2020
12/01/2004, 11:16 PM
You just needed a little luck ;) Job well done and this demonstrates that this meathod WILL work it just takes time.

LowCel
12/02/2004, 07:41 AM
Yup, that and a lot of patience. :)

So how are the new frags doing?

R33f3r
12/02/2004, 08:10 AM
Congratulations on catching it. It took me several attempts but I got mine as well. Talk about a big PITA :D