PDA

View Full Version : Condy is hosting percs!

TOM24
11/25/2001, 02:45 PM
I recently got a pair of TR percs and after about a week they have taken to the condy. The acclimation process was very interesting. At first they would touch a tentacle with a flip of their tails and judging by their reaction it looks like they were stung. Later instead of touching a tentacle with their tail they would gently kiss a tentacle with their mouth. When they did this it did not appear like they were stung. After a couple of days of kissing the tentacles they no longer reacted to being touched by a tentacle on their bodies. Now they are completely happy in their host and spend every night buried in it. They still occasionally mouth a tentacle. I lost an occelaris to ich that also was hosted by the condy and it also went through a similar acclimation process. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?

michaelg
11/28/2001, 09:21 AM
I think this is pretty common- I have seen it twice now. It is kinda funny to watch the pain that they go through just to get in that anenome.

Michael

TOM24
11/29/2001, 05:50 PM
michaelg

thanks for the reply. What type of clowns were they and I assume it was also with a condy.

michaelg
11/29/2001, 06:05 PM
The clowns were a sebae with a long tentacle and a pair of clarkii's with an e.quad. My brother told me that his condy ate one of his 3 spot damsels (which will also take residence in anenomes)- so I guess you got lucky! The process of adaption I believe is the same though- analagous to how we build immunity (you become immune to what you are exposed to), but in the case of the fish, I think they start making something in their slime coat- or perhaps a neurological blocker???/ have not seen much for discussion on this...

Michael

TOM24
11/29/2001, 11:18 PM
I haven't seen much discussion on the adaptation process either it is one reason why I am interested. I have Wilkerson's Clownfishes and it does not have much information on the adaptation or acclimation process. It is very interesting that before they are acclimated that they seem to get stung on their bodies but not their lips.

I have read that damsels will be hosted by anemones when they are juveniles. Maybe your brothers damsel overstayed its welcome. Perhaps it is also easier for a juvenile clown to become acclimated to a host especially, a host that is unnatural in the wild. I am concerned that my condy will forget his manners and eat my pair. Only time will tell. For now they all seem happy.