PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in SouthDown Sand?

Don Davis
11/24/2001, 11:33 PM
Who is interested in Southdown sand? If I can get about 46 more bags spoken for I will order a pallet.

Don

Lilgrasshopper
11/25/2001, 01:22 AM
How much will it be per bag if we got 46 bags ordered?

Don Davis
11/25/2001, 02:13 AM
It works out to $10 a bag. There are 56 bags on a pallet and a pallet costs about $560 shipped. I will take 10 bags so that leaves 46. I might visit some LFS and see if they are interested. They could turn around and sell it for $20 a bag all day long.

Hey that might be a good way to make some money for the club. We could supply all the local stores with Southdown. Are there limitations for a "non-profit" club making a profit? :D

Don

JasonF
11/25/2001, 03:39 AM
How many pounds per bag?

Colin
11/25/2001, 10:30 AM
Jason, I think they are 50# per bag.

I could use a couple of bags (small tank and small house) :D.

--Colin

Lilgrasshopper
11/25/2001, 10:56 AM
Count me in for 15 bags :D

Don Davis
11/25/2001, 11:51 AM
Colin is correct, they are 50# bags. $10 for 50 pounds is a great deal. Aragamax goes for about a dollar a pound. This is the same stuff, only smaller particle size. It really is nice sand.

Don

JasonF
11/25/2001, 05:46 PM
Put me down for a bag or two.

Finman
11/25/2001, 05:50 PM
I'll take a couple of bags.

Reefer33
11/27/2001, 10:09 AM
I will probably purchase a couple of bags myself.

Little Reefer Boy
11/27/2001, 10:16 AM
Don,

How soon will you be able to have it delivered?

Don Davis
11/27/2001, 08:18 PM
Delivery depends on home depot and the trucking company. We will order it from a Home Depot on the east coast and wait until they have a truck heading our way. It could take a week, or it could take a month. There is really no way to guarantee a delivery date unless you hire your own truck and driver. But that would push the cost of a bag over what CaribSea costs.

So far there are 33 bags spoken for and 23 bags remaining. I really don't want to get stuck with $230 worth of sand on top of the 10 bags I plan to purchase myself. I still need to contact some local fish stores and see if they would be interested.

So to answer your question, I have no idea how long it will take to be ordered or delivered. Sorry. :(

Don

Little Reefer Boy
11/27/2001, 11:22 PM
If we can get it within a a week or so, I would like 5 bags.

DrkShadow
12/10/2001, 11:23 AM
Is that the kind of sand I would need to start a tank? I might need a few barrels then. How much you think I need for a 120g tank?

Don Davis
12/10/2001, 12:19 PM
DrkShadow, Welcome to ReefCentral.

You do not want to put this sand in to start your tank. This is only for well established tanks.

To start a new tank, you will need to go to the Carribean and collect it yourself. I would be willing to go with you and make sure you get the right stuff if you cover my traveling expences.:D

Actually, most any fine sand will work. The good thing about Southdown is it is cheap, it stays white when it's wet, and it is a good grain size. The bad thing about Southdown is you can't get it here. It is available in Dallas every so often. Grant, aka. Little Reefer Boy, went down and got some last weekend and said there may be a few bags left. I will call Marty in Dallas and see if he still has it. If he does, we'll need to make a trip to big D.

You will need between 250 and 300 #'s for a standard 120 gallon. Possibly more, but not much. You can have a local fish store order sand for you, but it will be 30-40 bucks for a 40-50# bag and it will probably be too coarse. Stay away from crushed coral.

Welcome again,

Don

DrkShadow
12/10/2001, 12:38 PM
Got ya... Cool..

Yea sure. I am making the travel arrangements now. You have to carry the sand through security though. I bet they will make you sift through it using a spoon to make sure were not smuggling anything through customs. :D

Yea I am making a list of things I will need, brands, etc. I want to do it right, but at the same time, do it cheaply too. Although I know it's not totally possible. If I can get this tank for next to nothing, I will be just fine then. Think I can use a standard 75g as a sump? Wonder if it would fit?

Assuming this tank is a 120g, how many powerheads do I need? Rec any brands? What about pumps? any other tubes, cords, plugs, and electrodes I might need.. hahah

Thanks!

Don Davis
12/10/2001, 02:36 PM
What about pumps? any other tubes, cords, plugs, and electrodes I might need..

DUDE, YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IT ALL!!!

There's stuff you won't even know you need until it's too late. There's stuff you need until you buy it, then you'll never use it. There's stuff you swear you bought but you can never find it until you buy another one. Then you remember that you put the last one with the other 3 you forgot you bought and never used. There's stuff you'll need that they don't even make yet. The next time you're at Home Depot and you see something that makes you think "What the hell is that thing?" Go ahead and get it, because you'll need it eventually. Just hope you can find it when you need it. You really have no idea what you're getting into.:D

I have kept freshwater tanks for 18 years and I have a lot of other hobbies, but none of them come close to being as rewarding as a reef tank. You are about to embark on a truley life changing endevour, seriously. But be patient and you will be rewarded over and over again. Or you can rush into it and give up and sell us your used equipment cheap in a few months.:D

We'll all walk you through it, one step at a time. There are a lot of people here who can offer you good advice and experience. First step, research and decide what kind of animals you want to keep. Then tailor your tank and equipment around those needs. Not all animals will tolerate the same conditions. I have several good books that you can borrow that describe the different kinds of animals and the specific conditions they need.

Later,

Don

DrkShadow
12/10/2001, 03:29 PM
Okay sounds like I am slowing opening a bag o worms here but you say there will be gold in the bottom so I think I will be okay then. :smokin:

So far I'm leaning toward going with soft corals and any other critters I can put with them that won't eat them for a morning snack or open a can of whup A@@ on them. :) Meaning no evil devil crabs.. haha

I should find out about the tank in the next day or two. I hope I get it for free... Bro's ex's Mom was going to give it to him, he didn't want it (loozer) then they broke up. So not sure but can't hurt to ask. :bum: If it's free it's for me right? moooowahahahha

Once I get the tank, the bag will be opened and will be time to go shopping.. :eek:

Don Davis
12/10/2001, 09:16 PM
Okay sounds like I am slowing opening a bag o worms here but you say there will be gold in the bottom so I think I will be okay then.

Don't blame me for your new addiction. ;)

I never said nothing about no gold.

The only thing you'll ever get out of this hobby is what you put into it. :)

Later,

Don

DrkShadow
12/10/2001, 10:05 PM
Nah I don't blame you, it was a dormant hobby and was just revitalized is all. I'm just now acting on it. :D