PDA

View Full Version : My new Mantis!!! ID DR Roy?

Jared Cooper
11/24/2001, 11:42 AM
Here's my new mantis. It is about 3 1/2 inches long and a spearer. I looked through the lurkers guide to stomopods and still could not figure our what kind it is. So if anyone has any idea let me know. The mantis is awsome!!

Jared Cooper
11/24/2001, 11:44 AM
Here's another shot:
sorry my digital camera really sucks, that will change at Christmas.

Death Shrimp99
11/24/2001, 12:17 PM
Nice mantis. Cool yellow color. Dont know what it is though.

racer340
11/24/2001, 01:50 PM
Nice animal.I would have spent a couple of hours driving for that one also.

orkspace
11/24/2001, 08:41 PM
Nice bug! Looks a lot like a yellow spearer I had seen at Aquarium Concepts in Hayward a few months ago. Almost bought it, but went with a smasher instead.

Jared Cooper
11/24/2001, 08:55 PM
Yup that's the one. I got it at AC. I would prefer a smasher but I also like this one.

Angel*Fish
11/25/2001, 05:28 PM
Oh my gosh -- how big is that mantis ? He reminds me of my Persian cat for some reason --

Jared Cooper
11/25/2001, 06:34 PM
It's about 3 or 3 1/2 inches. It isn't making a burrow which is concerning me a bit.

Gonodactylus
11/25/2001, 11:24 PM
The animal in question is Pseudosquilla ciliata. It is a gonodactyloid spearer that is found circumtropically from Hawaii to the Caribbean. The only place you won't find it in tropical waters is on the Pacific coast of the Americas. It reaches a maximum size of around 4 inches, changes colors to match background (over several weeks), and its larvae are in the plankton for months and settle out when over 2.5 cm. If is found from the low intertidal to at least 40 m depth. I don't have good age data, although I have kept animals for several years. My guess is that maximum age is at least 7 or 8 years of age.

P. ciliata have always reminded me of cats!

P. ciliata dig u-shaped burrows in sand and muddy substrates, usually under or along side stones or rubble. They do not produce a lot of mucus like some stomatopods, so they have difficulty digging in clean, loose sand. They will fan and excavate sand and gravel, but have a tough time stabilizing it. I usually give them pvc to live in. A really nice burrow can be made from a piece of 1 to 1.5" tygon or other flexible tubing. Plane off about a third of the side so that it is smooth and will fit against the side of an aquarium wall. I then smear the inside of the tube with silicon sealant (be sure to use aquarium grade that does not contain fungicides) and pack the tube with dry sand. In a day or two when the sealant dries, shake out the sand and then soak and rinse it. You can then place the tube against the wall of the aquarium with a deep sand bed. If necessary, use silicon to seal it to the wall, but I usually don't. The pressure of the sand substrate holds it in place. For a 3.5 inch animal, I would use a one inch diameter piece of tubing about a foot in length bending it to a depth of about 3 inches. The burrow will look very natural, just like a cut-away of one in the field. I then tape black plastic to the aquarium wall over the cut-away burrow and lift it when I want to see the animal. They will often brood eggs in such burrows, etc. This same technique works well for animals from 1 to 12 inches in length or more.

Ro

Jared Cooper
11/26/2001, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the info! I will set up the burrow you described tomarrow. He digs a lot but just sits behind a piece of live rock.

Glad to hear it only reaches a max size of 4 inches. I didn't want a big one.

Jared Cooper
11/26/2001, 01:13 AM
One more question----

So if he changes colors to match his background, if I change the background to bright reds or greens will he will change color to match?

If this is the case maybe I should throw in some red and green smooth glass that washes up on the beach here.

Gonodactylus
11/26/2001, 10:22 AM
It's a bit more complicated than I suggested. Color matching takes at least one and sometimes several molts and depends not only on the substrate color, but also on the ambient lighting characteristics and the color overhead. A P.c. placed in a turtle grass bed will eventually turn green - usually with a white stripe down its back. One living on black vclcanic sand, black. Bright red is a color I have not seen in this species, although they do turn orange or reddish brown.

Roy