PDA

View Full Version : Burried Plate

freeman.matt
11/22/2004, 10:04 PM
So I got this plate coral a few weeks ago and its way cool. The only problem is that my goby (golden headed sleeper) has this annoying habbit of burrying it under mouthfulls of sand. I read somewhere that the corals can expand to shake sand off, so I'm not too concerned with sand around the disk, but its mouth seems to be getting full of sand too.

Anyone konw if this is a problem? Can they somehow get the sand out of their mouth or do I need to dump him out every morning?

Thanks in advance

yoshiod9
11/23/2004, 12:21 AM
lol. i'm sure they can get the sand out on their own(noting how they live on the sand bed in the wild) but i would make a little siphon thingy out of rigid and regular airline tubing that way you can suck up some water and blow the sand off the plate gently. =)

milhouse74
11/23/2004, 01:49 AM
Go to the dollar store, and get yourself a turkey baster. they are key for any reefkeeper.

luger
11/23/2004, 10:13 AM
after a while it is going to stress out the coral and you will see the tissue start to receed the die.what i did with mine i placed a piece of rock under it to lift it slightly of the bed .this solved all my issues and it opens better then it ever did before.