PDA

View Full Version : Placement of tanks to reduce fish stress

Agu
11/23/2001, 03:35 PM
I've noticed that the fish in one of my tanks are very skittish and hide a lot. It's a 37 gal Oceanic with a pair of Clarkii clowns and a lawnmower blenny. There is also a sebae anemone, a few corals, and plenty of live rock for hiding places.

The tank is directly to the right of the door as I walk into the room and I think that's the problem. The fish get no warning, and suddenly there's a large moving object right next to them so they hide. This also happens when someone walks into the room while I'm there. At least this is my theory, does it make any sense?? Would moving the tank to the opposit wall make any difference?? Or are my fish just paranoid??

Agu

gregt
11/23/2001, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't doubt that that is creating stress on your fish.

For months I couldn't figure out why my Comet was hanging out under my external overflows, as it is an empty portion of my tank, and normally he likes to hide in the rock work. Finally I figured out that he was seeing the ghost shrimp I keep in a small tank on a bookshelf 3 feet away! I moved the shrimp and now he stays in the rocks.

hcs3
11/23/2001, 04:33 PM
definately. i used to send my scotts wrasse and firefish into my lights everytime i would pop around the corner. i moved the tank about a year ago. i can no longer appear from around corners. the fish no longer jump into the lights.

ever get your wrasse/chromis problem solved agu?

henry

Agu
11/23/2001, 06:22 PM
Henry,

The tank is getting moved for sure now :D .

Solved the "last fish" question by accident. Walked into my local LFS, which almost never has anything worth buying, and in the very end lr tank was a gorgeous pair of true percs. They were getting beat up in there old home and had been at the lfs for several weeks. They hadn't sold because no one wanted to get them out of the lr tank. I went back after work with a few 5 gal buckets and a specimen container thinking it would be an ordeal. Just for giggles I decided to try coaxing them into the specimen container, two minutes later I had them both bagged:D :D :D .

$12 for a PAIR of true percs (just had to shout).

Agu

garbled
11/30/2001, 10:57 PM
Actually.. I've seen the opposite. We have a large angel and puffer in my wife's tank. That tank is in our bedroom at the end of the hall. When walking down the hall, or around the corner, the fish immediately notice us, and jump to the side of the tank to watch us walk around the house.

Initially, yes, they were a bit skitish, but eventually they became used to us, and now dance and play to get our attention as we walk down the hall. The transformation is amazing, they go from listless and bored swimming to frantic excitement. The fish in my reef tank do the same thing when someone walks into thier room.

I think once they get used to you, they will not freak out as much, though some fish will never fully calm down. (I thought the angel would be like that, but now it's the most sociable fish we own. It was a complete freak when first put in the tank.)

For the first month or so I was pretty cautious around them, and opened doors slowly, tried not to startle them etc etc.

Mr Nasty
12/04/2001, 03:57 PM
The answer to this problem depends on what type of fish you are talking about. Puffers, angelfish,triggers etc. are of a higher intelligence than rinky dink fish such as clowns, blennies, cardinals etc. therefore the more intelligent ones recognize humans as the big things that bring them the food. And are usually more receptive. Whereas lower intelligent fish see you as a dark shadow, possibly a preadator.
Dont get me wrong I have seen some intelligent clowns and blennies before but for the most part angels and triggers generally have more intelligence and personality.

Mr Nasty
12/05/2001, 11:46 AM
Except for my puffer which could quite possibly be the stupidest creature on earth.