PDA

View Full Version : Blackbar chromis (chromis retrofasciata) peaceful or aggressive?

karid
11/18/2004, 01:24 PM
I have a question about chromis, specifically the blackbar chromis (Chromis retrofasciata). I just read the November '03 article "Friendly Damsels? It Can't be Possible!… The Genus Chromis" - so I thought I'd post the question here...

I really like the C. retrofasciata, and I've read in a few places that this fish, like other chromis, are peaceful and do well in groups. I thought this was great. However, I've just read in a few other places that they're just as aggressive as other damselfish. Do you have experience with these fish or know one way or the other?

I plan on getting 4 small chromis (C. retrofasciata only gets to be about 2 inches in size), but I would hate to spend so much time and effort to find these fish, only to have them not get along in my tank - with each other or with the other fish. I have a 55g tank and other inhabitants are:
1 fairy wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
1 clown goby
1 brownbarred goby
1 chalk bass.

Do you think that is OK?
Thx!

hcs3
11/18/2004, 11:46 PM
hi karid,

i do not have any personal experience with the fish you speak of.

if this is the planned last fish in, i'd say it should be OK. chromis can become somewhat defensive of the aquarium once they are established and vulnerable newcomers are added, but otherwise the fish already in the aquarium are at a lot less risk than any new additions. of the fish that you listed, i'm not truly worried about any of them. possibly the fairy wrasse if anybody because they will jump if the chromis make a charge. the gobies will be ignored, bass can hold its own as well as the blenny.

HTH

karid
11/19/2004, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the response! Yes, they will be the last fish in. I think I will continue to look for these fish. Thanks again for the advice.