PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here running ozone?

MattG
11/18/2004, 12:57 PM
if so are you happy with it? noticable benefits? what unit are you using?

Ijoshjoycei
11/19/2004, 11:46 PM
I've ran an Ozone gen. since I started my tank.. never had one coral die if that counts for anything at all... only 3 fish ever b/c of a lighting problem and boiled the water... I have the SEAEra its an old one.. but still does the job.. make sure to read everything about them if ya get it.. the smell alone can give you a head ach if the tubes aren't plugged in correctly.. but as I said I have one and hasn't caused any problems nor helped anything really..

rspar
11/20/2004, 12:02 AM
I would defnitely not have ozone gas leaking into my house. It is a very strong oxidizer.

Ijoshjoycei
11/22/2004, 10:03 PM
well hmm reply to this once again... I don't know why it woudl be leakin into your hosue mine is hooked to my skimmer and it cleans so much crap out of the water its not even funny...

rspar
11/22/2004, 10:15 PM
I really don't know about these for aquariums tell me how it makes contact with that water without being released?

Ijoshjoycei
11/22/2004, 11:45 PM
well my Skimmer has a air tube for it built in... so I just ran the airline to the skimmer from the generator.. and it flows into the water with out ever leakin out into the air...

rspar
11/23/2004, 06:51 PM
The gas enters the skimmer through the airline and leaves the skimmer how?

Ijoshjoycei
11/24/2004, 12:14 AM
in the water...

rspar
11/24/2004, 10:18 PM
Are you talking ozone or uv? Ozone is a gas I'm not so sure that should be used on an aquarium. It's used as a sanitizer for many things from Dermitology to swimming pools. But IME it always exhaust to the air and you really wouldn't want that in an unventilated area. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul B
11/24/2004, 10:26 PM
I am running ozone into my skimmer since 1972. I don't know if it does anything because it's always on but my fish never get sick, not in over twenty years and I do not quarintine. I also add all kinds of live animals from the sea. I doubt the ozone has anything to do with it but it can't hurt.
Paul

rspar
11/25/2004, 12:15 AM
Is it a bulb or corona discharge unit?

Paul B
11/25/2004, 07:21 AM
I use a discharge unit. All the ozone gets used up in the skimmer and none enters the water. Ozone has a very definate small and you would know right away If any of it was free. If I didn't have a problem in 32 years then I can say it is safe.
Paul

gefrankle
11/25/2004, 08:06 AM
I suggest using an orp controller to limit the amount of ozone used. I add ozone through the skimmer and monitor orp in the sump. The controller shuts off the ozone when orp exceeds 385 and turns it back on at 365. Without ozone the system will run about orp=200. The orp probe needs to be cleaned periodically with vinegar (about 1 per month) or it will start to drift high in readings.

George

coastal
11/25/2004, 09:00 AM
I have used ozone many years I feel the best And safest way to ad it is through a venturi then through a reaction chamber and finnaly a carbon chamber. The water comming out is supper clean I maintain abiut 420mv with no prob. The ozone gas can exscape thru the top of a skimmer as well as alow bromine into the tank

rspar
11/25/2004, 10:38 AM
Wow I had no idea people used these on their tanks. Personally I would never run one inside my house. I'm sure it's a tiny amount but IMO it would be similar to leaking chlorine gas into your house. I wonder what Randy thinks of this?