PDA

View Full Version : One Perc but not the Other?

bferris01
11/21/2001, 07:32 PM
HI all, I need some help! Well some info!

I have a carpet anemone(ha sp?) have had it about 2 years and growing very well under Icecap 660. I had a dominio damsal that had takin to it, but becacause he became to agressive toward the other fish and began picking at some corals I had to remove him to a FO tank.

I aquired a "mated" pair of percula's. They have been together for 3-4 years scince being very young. One is larger and little darker than the other, I am assuming this to be the female and the smaller brighter colored one to be the male. ( Is this corect?)

I introduced them into my reef about 1.5-2 weeks ago, while the damsel was still in the tank. Scince I removed the damsel about 1 week ago the male has taken to the anemone very well, but the female or lager one dosen't seem to want anything to do with it. Why is that? I have noticed that sometimes when I feed the tank some brine the female will contact the anemone on accident and quickly jerks and swims the other way almost as if it hurts her to contact it. Is this what is Happening?

Is there any hope of her joining her mate in the anemone? It is quite a large carpet 12-16 inches diameter should be plenty of room I would think! Anything I could do to help?

The male comes over to the female every so often as to say hey girl get over here! ( ok maybe I watch my tank to much )

Any info or ideas would be great, thanks please email me at bferris01@hotmail.com

Brian

Skipper
11/22/2001, 02:19 PM
One is larger and little darker than the other, I am assuming this to be the female and the smaller brighter colored one to be the male. ( Is this corect?) Yeah, that is most probably correct, but it is also entirely possible that you have a false perc and a true perc. In this case they would not pair and could easily prefer different types of anemones. This would also account for your statement that one is a little darker than the other. Have you got any pictures of the two that you could share?

clownman
11/27/2001, 01:54 AM
Skip,
I have been watching your page for little while and was wondering if your clown baby hatched finally?

Skipper
12/16/2001, 01:51 PM
Yeah, they have....many times. Actually, I am not attempting to raise them, nor have I seen one yet. They usually hatch at night and get eaten or caught up in the overflow and don't make it.:( Additionally, it takes quite a bit of work and another tank to raise them.

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response.:D