PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Duncanopsammia

joetbs
11/17/2004, 09:40 PM
Trying to find the supposed "hundreds or thousands" of this coral in america. ORA had some, but i dont know if it really got distributed before they got hit with all the hurricanes.

joe

joetbs
11/17/2004, 10:25 PM
Here's a picture that Anthony Calfo was kind enough to send me:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/17702mini-Duncanopsammia_small.jpg

Mark
11/18/2004, 10:40 AM
Hey Joe,

I have been on the hunt for this coral for 8 years. I know a few folks in the USA have it. Greg Schiemer, Sprung, and ORA. I have yet to find it available. When I visit family in Europe, I hunt around there too. It seems to be readily available for Australian reefers. It's supposedly very hardy.

joetbs
11/18/2004, 11:19 AM
That's what I hear too. I tried to trade some Lordhowensis for some, as well as cespitularia, but no one has any. Of course after fragging the Cespit it melted down, so I'm down to lords to trade.

Do you know the status of ORA's? Hopefully it made it through.

Is it only in Aus, or europe too? I understood that it was pretty well spread around in most of europe. When I go to germany I will look around, hopefully i can find a piece to bring back.

joe

Mark
11/18/2004, 11:30 AM
I got to Holland usually, and I haven't seen any, but perhaps I just don't know the right people there.:)

wrasstaman
11/18/2004, 03:16 PM
Serdar has two of them at Phishy!!!
They are really cool, although I think the lordowensis is much prettier.
They are not for sale, but who knows. He is growing them out for now.
I hope it is OK that I mention he has them.
wrassta

TinyBubbles
11/18/2004, 04:51 PM
I got some from Amy. I'll ask her to post a picture of it. Mine are a lot more green then that picture. I wish I knew where to get the really dark red ones.

joetbs
11/18/2004, 05:12 PM
Dark red ones? In COTW it states that these are Dark Grey or green.

joe

brahm
11/18/2004, 06:52 PM
wait wait wait.. You guys are looking for that? I bought Joe's Juice to kill it.. is Duncanopsammia another name for aptiasia?

joetbs
11/18/2004, 07:26 PM
:shakes head: No. Here: http://www2.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/101-200/Species%20pages/135.htm

brahm
11/18/2004, 07:34 PM
OMG WTH! Those poor blastomussa merletti's were killed by aptasia.

wrasstaman
11/19/2004, 12:56 PM
The ones Serdar have are also a much darker and pretty green. I must say though Brahm, I am thinking like you personally since I really hate aptasia, thay look to similar for me! Anything even close is now a problem for me. I can no longer enjoy the beauty of any anemone or coral that resembles those dreaded little bastards!
Wrassta

TippyToeX
11/20/2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TinyBubbles
I got some from Amy. I'll ask her to post a picture of it. Mine are a lot more green then that picture. I wish I knew where to get the really dark red ones.

Ahh Clair! I didn't even know you were registered here on RC. :eek: Next time you stay here, no hopping on my computer to tell my secrets. :p

joetbs
11/20/2004, 06:07 PM
Amy, pics would be appreciated. :) Check your pm too.

joe

TippyToeX
11/20/2004, 06:37 PM
Ack pics can't happen I'm sorry to say. They are locked in a hard drive that crashed a few months ago. I am not willing to spend the money to get them recovered. :D Very sorry.

PMed ya back. :)

Guy
11/29/2004, 03:13 PM
I'm trying to ID a hitchhiker I got several years ago.

Can someone take a peek at this thread and see if it's the Duncan... stuff?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=478162

Mark
11/29/2004, 04:18 PM
Looks like it!:) Nice find. PM'd you.

coralite
12/01/2004, 12:15 AM
hundreds or thousands? Id be surprised to know that there are more than a few dozen people that currently have this coral in the us

MarLooney
12/02/2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Guy
I'm trying to ID a hitchhiker I got several years ago.

Can someone take a peek at this thread and see if it's the Duncan... stuff?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=478162

i replied to your thread.

reelbadfish
12/06/2004, 07:45 PM
Very interesting... I didn't know there was a demand for Duncanopsommia. I know of at least one source that I can probably get my hands on. Did I hear someone say they were willing to trade lordhowensis?

llamart
12/07/2004, 04:24 PM
My LFS got one from ORA in the begining of the year and it was awesome. I begged him to sell it but he wouldnt.

He told me that ORA got hit pretty hard. He had a a stash of different sps frags from ORA that he had to send back to them so they can rebuild after the hurricanes. So with that in mind if the Duncans surived the hurricanes in ORA who knows when they would be willing to release them into the market.