PDA

View Full Version : Torch Coral Question

quandary_23
11/17/2004, 11:39 AM
I have recently added a torch coral to my tank, yellow tips. Placed middle of rock work in my 37 oceanic cube and I use a 150 watt hqi 10000K MH setup. This guy has been in there for about 4-5 days now. I noticed when I got it home that one of the heads didn't fully extend that much, then yesterday that same head totally retracted and the film around the head came off with some brown gue coming out of the head. Now the other 6 or so heads seem fine. The coral receives light flow. I was wondering if this is normal or is that head gone? Will it come back after a couple of days, kinda like zoos expelling left overs and then coming back to full extension?

If it is a goner, why would this be? That half of the coral is slightly under a ledge, but should be getting plently of light, My lights run 12 hrs and then moon lights for 6. I have mostly softies in the tank and nothing is real close to it, I have one monti cap at the top level and it is growing fine with everything else in the tank. My fish are a clown and cardinal.

Let me know what ya think, thanks.

Bozad
11/17/2004, 11:50 AM
It may of been damaged during shipping. Usually ifthe branch head closes like you described with the brown gue ( brown jelly infection) its problem gone for good. Keep a close eye and the rest of the coral. If you see that brown gue, it may very well be BJI and then your in danger of loosing the hole coral.

quandary_23
11/17/2004, 11:57 AM
Is there any type of treatment if it is BJI? I will do a search in the mean time, thanks.

quandary_23
11/18/2004, 12:11 PM
Status update,

I went home and broke the bad head off it was def dead from BJI. By doing this I split my torch in half so now a have a 4 headed piece and a 2 headed piece, I syphoned the rest of the brown jelly out of the broken head then did a lugols did for 12 min with 1 gallon and 30 drops instead of 40. Both pieces seemed fine yesterday after I put them back in the tank. Hopefully everythin will make it alright.

The bad head didn't go without a fight though because it sliced right through my thumb.

Shadow Tempter
11/20/2004, 05:19 AM
Ouch! I had the same problem, I was too afraid to brreak him off cause it was too close to the other heads, so I just got some putty and sealed the entire head....