PDA

View Full Version : Finnex Protein Skimmer

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 03:32 PM
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/clearance/finnexlarge.jpg
Does anyone have any experience with these skimmers?
Do you know if they are good? They look pretty well built.
Any suggestions?

LowCel
11/16/2004, 04:26 PM
It's pretty bad I just did a google search and couldn't even find out anything about them. Have a webpage for them? What pump do they use? How much do they cost?

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 04:30 PM
Here (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FI-PS-1002&Category_Code=Clearance) is where I found it.

LowCel
11/16/2004, 04:37 PM
Well the good news is that is Premium Aquatics. They are great people to talk to. Give them a call and just ask them how they compare to other skimmers. For example ask them how they compare to EuroReef, Bakpak and any other skimmer that you are familiar with.

That price just really seems to good to be true. I have never heard of an efficient skimmer for a 200 gallon tank for under $400 - $500.

The guys at Premium have never lied to me plus they have the best customer service on the web.

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 04:40 PM
Yeh, I thought it might be too good to be true. I want to get a decent skimmer for a 90 gallon, but I don't have a lot to spend right now. I thought this one might be worth a shot.
Maybe I'll give them a call.

LowCel
11/16/2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah, don't rule it out until after you talk to them. Also, if you get their voice mail leave a message, they will return your call.

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 04:45 PM
Cool. Thanks man!

hmott
11/16/2004, 09:25 PM
let us know what they say, that is a great price. Maybe its to good to be true, but either way let us know what they tell you.

1package
11/17/2004, 02:26 PM
It could be no worse than my Berlin XL, I finally $hitcanned it and began using my old $75 SeaClone again. Something is better than nothing. The Technology is so simple for these things I am having a problem with $300-$400. Everyone is high on the Euro-reef, but for that price a bikini clad sales associate should come to the house, tap a keg, install the skimmer and then hang around a few days to see that it works.

If you talk to the customer support guys let us know what size pump must drive it.

odoprelude
11/17/2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, just as long as the sales associate wasn't named Darrell or Steve or something...heh:lol2:

1package
11/17/2004, 03:30 PM
Once again I made an assumption, I assumed that was a given.

LowCel
11/17/2004, 04:30 PM
Wish I could agree, my EuroReef was worth every penny I paid for it.

LowCel
11/17/2004, 04:38 PM
I just talked to Jeremy at Premium Aquatics and asked about the skimmer. He told me that it would be great for a ten gallon tank with a ten gallon sump. He said he wouldn't recomend it on anything larger than a 25 gallon tank though.

Here are the comparisons that he made, said it is like a Prism on steroids. When I asked how it compared to a BakPak he told me that it wasn't quite as nice as a bakpak. When I asked how it compared to a EuroReef all he said was that I would be unpleasantly surprised.

Shikaroka
11/17/2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks Bruce! :(
Oh well, I guess I better start saving my pennies, or sell a kidney on eBay.

coralreefer
11/17/2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by odoprelude
Yeah, just as long as the sales associate wasn't named Darrell or Steve or something...heh:lol2:

Ahem like that would be a problem? Except I don't like speedos :D

1package
11/17/2004, 05:06 PM
Seems as though I am the one always skeptical of the high priced hardware.

When you say, "worth every penny", how so?

How much does the euro-reef skimmer pull out of the 90g daily or weekly? I understand that the cup is huge (dia.)

There is obviously something to it, "a billion Chinamen can't be wrong".

I think they are like my Oakley sunglasses, no one sells them cheap. Is a used one the best route?

LowCel
11/17/2004, 05:22 PM
You can either get a used one or a refurbished one. I went with the ES5-3 rather than the CS series, that saved me quite a bit of money as well.

I don't really know if it is really "how much does it pull out" compared to "what it pulls out". I have never smelled anything like a collection cup on a EuroReef.

As for the Oakley's believe me I understand. I just shopped everywhere on the internet for a pair, I ended up buying them at Sunglass Hut in the mall. They cost the same everywhere, mine set me back $180!

MattG
11/17/2004, 06:42 PM
only thing im not happy with about my euroreef is i didnt buy a larger one :D they are a great skimmer worth every penny. as far as convincing anyone that thats the case.... you just have to see/smell one. i guess its just like a tunze powerhead :D

1package
11/17/2004, 10:17 PM
Yes, I need to do something (skimmer), that's a fact. As for the Tunze, I think I am going to look closed loop with a Mag 5 and get rid of the 1200MJs. I am sick to death of those things falling off the sides and cleaning the suction cups.

1package
11/18/2004, 04:01 PM
I was reading up last night, I am considering an ASM G3 Skimmer < $300. I would like to go Euro reef, the same size would be around $450 or more. Anyone know anything about ASM? I read a long ASM thread, at least the first 5-6 pages all good.

coralreefer
11/18/2004, 05:49 PM
If I remember right...not something you can count on. They are basically the same thing. The guys the "invented" the Euroreef split up and the other one started selling them as ASM. I think the Euroreef is suppose to be built out of sturdier acrylic ? Any or all may be wrong...the search feature is down.
fwiw I've never heard any bad about ASM.

Have you looked at MRC or GEO skimmers?

MattG
11/18/2004, 07:31 PM
the new geo needle wheels are suppose to be really nice. when i upgrade my skimmer (money permited) i will most likely go with the 8 series geo or a euroreef if i have the extra cash.

the asm's use extruded acrylic vs cast in the euroreef cs series. the es series euroreefs (which i dont think they sell anymore) used extruded. another difference is euroreefs use a threaded union to remove the cup where the ASM's use a slip. They are suppose to use the same needle wheel/pump. ive never seen one in person though.

msu
11/18/2004, 11:51 PM
A skimmer you might want to check out is Aqua C. Marine Depot carries 3 different types the AquaC EV, AquaC Urchin, which are both in sump skimmers, and the AquaC Remora, which is a hang on. I have the Remora and IMO its great. It pulls out a lot of nasty looking and nasty smelling material each day. It took it a couple of weeks to break in but after that, it really came on. The collection cup is 2.75 inches wide 7.5 inches long and 3.25 inches deep and I have to empty it about 3 or 4 days. The collection cup can be raised up and down to adjust the type of material it collects. The lower it is the more it pulls out but the material it pulls out in the low position is very thin and in this position the cup needs emptied every day. I have mine adjusted almost as far up as it can be so the material it collects is pretty thick and has a hefty smell to it. So if the in sump skimmers work as well as the HO it might pay you to check them out and I think they are cheaper than Euroreef.

1package
11/19/2004, 06:50 AM
Coralreefer, your memory serves you well, I did read that the ASM was a euro-reef copy with a less sturdy plastic, but was not planning to throw mine around so figured if that was the only issue, should not be a problem. I noticed that they also used the same 5000 series brand pump. The name escapes me at the moment.

I think they still sell the E-series they are just rated at 100g and under. I am hoping to get one capable of 250-300g.

There is also a Euro-reef knock off at Jeff's Exotic, but no specs. so no way.

The GEO and Aqua C, I will take a look at it this weekend, not familiar with it either. Really just started looking and asking. Know I need to do, likely will. I need to take a look at the space in the sump that I left available the ASM had a big footprint.

I hear the same thing ring through each thread, "wish I had gone larger". I too, hope to upgrade tanks in the next year or so. I do not want to look back and say this. On the other hand I do not want to drop now over $500 on the Euroreef. The one thing I did notice was that the capacity in the Euroreef did not seem to jump for the dollar as much as the others, although you may get what you pay for, and overstating is very common.

The other thing I did notice is that the Euro-reef is like Oakley. I was looking at the C series 2+ and they were the same to the dollar at most sites and nowhere under $418, unless you went with the blemished models, which is OK with me.

I looked at the MRC Curtis mentioned them. Definitely not giving them away as well. I thought the vol. that I was looking at was 30", I believe it would fit, not certain. I was also not certain about the "quick release" upgrade. From a cost stand point, (I think) it was nearly Euro-reef.

Kiah
11/19/2004, 07:13 AM
I actually bought 3 of the smaller units from them. They worked well. My issues were the mounts (they were hang on) needed modification to insure stability and the unit spewed a lot of air bubbles into the tank which I didn't like. I spoke with prem aqua, tried a couple things, didn't help - they suggested I send them back and try something else.

Great folks to work with. But I did double up on the rated requirements and units skimmed well

LowCel
11/19/2004, 07:46 AM
The AquaC's are very nice skimmers. One of my favorite things about some of the larger ones is that they can go in-line rather than in the sump. The only thing with the AquaC's is if you get one make sure you don't go with the Rio pump, you can upgrade pumps for just a few bucks extra.

Once I upgrade tanks I am actually thinking about getting one of those to go along with my EuroReef.

Shikaroka
11/19/2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys!

msu
11/19/2004, 11:33 AM
good point LowCel it would be crazy not to up grade to the mag pump like you said its only a few bucks. the AquaC is worth checking out. i had a seacylone before and always was adjusting on it or cleaning it. Since i got the AquaC the only thing i have done is plug it in and empty the collection cup.

Shikaroka
11/19/2004, 11:47 AM
Where is a good place to get an AquaC?

1package
11/19/2004, 12:03 PM
Assuming that the ASM is a good skimmer, same Sedra pump as Euro reef, claim to "incorporate the same design as Euro reef". It is around $275 on Ebay new $285 on the web, rated at 250g, that is the G3 version, not a bad deal - if it works.

The Aqua C EV series with a similar rating, 270g, is about $100 more with a Mag7. Marine Depot has the AquaC. They are normally a little high, sometimes. You could likely find it for less.