PDA

View Full Version : Can I see your RO/DI with auto shut off solenoid setup???

Lilgrasshopper
11/21/2001, 01:50 AM
I'm trying to do research on how to set up one of these babies...I had to tear down my last couple of tanks because I hated doing topoff all the time...literally every 2 or 3 days...I couldn't go out of the city for more than a couple days cuz the tank would crash cuz there's no one to tend it. So I'm basically trying see how one is built...I know u need a solenoid valve to switch the RO/DI water off once a certain level is met...My biggest question is how does the solenoid valve work..and how to set one up...which is a good source of water to connect he RO/DI filter to? I want to run the RO/DI water straight to my future sump and then have it stop when the water gets to a certain level...with a float switch. Any ideas??

Lilgrasshopper
11/24/2001, 12:56 AM
Come on guys....someone's gotta be tired of hauling buckets to the Reef shop for RO water!!!

gregt
11/24/2001, 10:01 AM
Here's my RO collection setup:

http://saltyzoo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?urlStr=/180/equipment/011124

Don Davis
11/24/2001, 03:05 PM
WOW! Greg, nice tank and your website is awesome. Where did you purchase the solonoid? I have been wanting to move my RO\DI unit to the hot water closet in the garage and now I have a better idea of what I am getting myself into. Thanks for sharing.

Don

gregt
11/24/2001, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the nice words.

You can get the float valve and solonoid (Float Valve Kit For RO) or the float valve alone here:

http://www.petwarehouse.com/webstore/webstore.nsf/ProductSearch?SearchView&query=float%20valve

Don Davis
11/24/2001, 11:07 PM
Greg, thanks for the link. What do you do for auto top-off? I don't remember seeing that addressed on your website. Ultimately I want the RO\DI unit and resivoir to be located in the garage. I want to plumb the top-off line through the attic to the sump in the living room and control it via float switch. Any idea how I would stop the siphoning once the sump is topped off? I am afraid that once the water starts siphoning from the garage through the attic and down into the sump, it will continue even if the pump in the RO\DI resivoir has been shut off by the float switch. I don't want to flood my sump\living room.

Currently I setup the RO\DI unit on the kitchen counter every 3 or 4 days and fill 2, 5 gallon jugs. Most of the time I remember to set the timer.;)

Thanks for any help,

Don

gregt
11/25/2001, 08:08 AM
LOL Before I set up this system I had monthly water spills in the kitchen. My wife is very understanding about my tanks, but that was starting to really get on her nerves. :D

When the float valve cuts off it will prevent any water flow whether due to pressure or siphon. (The siphon is negligible compared to the water pressure anyway)

I don't do things that way for three reasons.

1) If the float valve would happen to fail (I've not had one fail in my RO trash can in over a year, but thats fresh water not salt) and allow extra RO water in the sump you could have an overflow, or even worse salinity could drop to a fatal level. I'm really not sure what the risk of this is, to be honest, the valves seem pretty fool-proof.

2) I've read that RO membranes are not as efficient for the first few minutes pressure is applied to them so that if you are constantly relieving the pressure and then reapplying it you wouldn't be getting well filtered water through the system. By doing larger amounts at a time in the trash can, the membrane does not become unpressured, so theoretically the water quality is better. I have not been able to substantiate those claims, so I don't really know the risk of this either.

3) The trash can is almost always full, giving me 30 gallons of RO to use to mix saltwater pretty much any time I want. This is the biggest reason I do things this way.

PS> I use a reconditioned IV pump for my auto-top off. It pulls it's water from the trash can. (That's what the small tube in the can is for)

HTH,

Don Davis
11/25/2001, 12:05 PM
I was planning on getting the reefpure 40 gallon storage tank with auto shutoff and placing that in the hot water closet with the RO\DI unit. Then I will put a float switch in my sump and connect it to a pump in the storage container. I would also like to elevate the storage tank a few feet off the ground and install some kind of spigot or tap near the bottom for filling jugs etc...

I know what I would like to do, but plumbing is not my strong point. It usually requires 5 extra trips to Home Depot and a couple of extra weekends. Then I get frustrated and start throwing stuff and the wife starts laughing at me. It usually turns pretty ugly when I do a plumbing project.

Don

gregt
11/25/2001, 12:31 PM
LOL I'm that way when it comes to carpentry. I usually just don't bother doing it. ;) Plumbing is easy for me, but I can't drive a nail or cut a board to save my life. ;)

Don Davis
11/25/2001, 02:28 PM
I can do almost anything with carpentry or electrical. My father-in-law has a sweet shop at his house with huge industrial saws, drills, sanders, anything anyone could need. Here is a pic of the canopy I made to match my stand. (http://www.geocities.com/dondavisiii/125gal.html) Also more pics of my tank which you requested in my finger leather thread.
My wife and I made the canopy in about 10 hours over the span of 2 weekends. Total cost was about $70.:D

Don

gregt
11/25/2001, 06:09 PM
About the canopy - WOW

About the tank - WOW

Great job. I couldn't make something that nice for $700 and 10 weekends. :p

DrkShadow
12/10/2001, 10:42 PM
$70? Good god, you wanna make mine for me? :eek1:

I def not good with good working. I'm just a computer nerd with a new hobby. :rolleyes:

Don Davis
12/11/2001, 11:38 AM
Bring me a rough drawing, idea, or concept and I'll make some working drawings out of it. I plan to start my caonpoy this weekend or next. I just spent $1000 on Metal Halides, don't tell Becky.:)

Don

DrkShadow
12/11/2001, 11:57 AM
1g? oh my....

DrkShadow
12/11/2001, 12:05 PM
I was thinking of something similar to this? what do you think?
http://defcon200.bizland.com/aquariust/id12.html

Don Davis
12/11/2001, 01:29 PM
We can do that. I need the dimensions for your tank and I'll work out a materials list.

Later,

Don

DrkShadow
12/11/2001, 05:23 PM
Wow, I'm learning how to be a plumber, carpenter. I gots skills. Just not the right ones yet. haha