PDA

View Full Version : Everyone ready for winter?

LowCel
11/16/2004, 10:24 AM
I was just wondering how many people are ready for Winter? What is everyone planning on doing during power outages? Battery backups? Generators?

I finally broke down and ordered a generator. Check this thing out, it seems like a great deal for the price....of course I did tell my wife that I bought it for the fridge and the TV. :D If anyone has been looking for one HarborFreight.com still has three of these in stock.

Generator (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90236)

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 10:51 AM
Cool!
I'd like to have one of those. I've been considering getting one.
I've actually got a UPS on my Nano at work.

1package
11/16/2004, 11:06 AM
I have a generator. I added a Buck stove insert to the fireplace so heat is not a big issue, just fish tanks and food storage.

The only thing about the Generators is the noise - unreal unless you go with the hi-dollar Honda. For this reason you need a long 20 amp extension cord.

coralreefer
11/16/2004, 11:27 AM
Brrrrr I Hate Winter

I've always lucked out on this one. We have access to one of Morton's generators since it stays on the crew truck :cool:

Before that a friend that rents tools from his hardware store always reserved a generator for the tank. It helps that he is one of my tank sitters.

We were very lucky to never loose power during the ice storm in 2003 but I know several reefs that were wiped out, including KeithW. btw: Matt I don't think I told you. Keith is out of the hobby now.

odoprelude
11/16/2004, 11:30 AM
wonder if keithw has any equipment he would want to get rid of...

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by odoprelude
wonder if keithw has any equipment he would want to get rid of...

And the vultures are circling.

coralreefer
11/16/2004, 11:47 AM
lol
He turned his 180 into a planted tank and gave all his livestock and some of his equipment to a friend in Ashland...boy do I wish I had a friend like that :)
Last I heard all he had left was a DIY skimmer for sell.

Curt is the one that made a BIG score with a guy selling out in Grayson, KY. I'm sure he'll get around to telling us about that though :D

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 11:49 AM
Hmmm, I could use a nice skimmer.

MattG
11/16/2004, 11:58 AM
i thought keith reset up his tank after he lost everything?

i dont have a generator but its good to know who does :D

MattG
11/16/2004, 12:07 PM
hmm just checked keiths posts and i guess he did convert over to fresh. silly me

Shikaroka
11/16/2004, 12:07 PM
I am planning on making my own Biodiesel. When I do, I will probably get a nice big diesel generator to put in my garage, one big enough to run my whole house.

You know, if you make more electricity then you use, the power company will pay you.
A friend of mine has natural gas wells on his property, so he gets unlimited free NG. He bought a big NG generator and hooked it up to his house. Now he has free electricty. And, since he generates more electricty then he uses, it feeds it back into the power companies lines and makes his meter turn backwards. He actually gets a check from AEP for about $35 a month. Lucky bastard!

coralreefer
11/16/2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by MattG

i dont have a generator but its good to know who does :D

That's something else I started to mention earlier.
It's a good idea to exchange phone/cell numbers, especially with the folks close to you, in case you ever need "emergency housing". If nothing else a rubbermaid and power head in a warm house could come in handy sometime.

Matt you're right about Keith in both posts :)
I saw his post in the selling forum right after we talked about him at the last meeting.

Curtis1
11/16/2004, 08:12 PM
I got a 5000w gen. Am planning on an addition to the house in the spring. I've been considering the set-up they sell at HD that is permanently installed and has a switch that turns the power back on when it goes off. Don't know what I'm gonna do for sure, got another bun in the oven due Jan !!!!! That might put a big kink in things !!!!

Curtis1
11/16/2004, 08:17 PM
As far as the big score goes, you guys don't want to here about it, it'd make yuns all sick !!!! I will say this, it was all less than 5 mos old !!!! If anyone's interested in some OCEANIC SEA SALT, LMK, that was the only thing that I didn't want, he's got 3 big buckets and 3 gallon jugs all unopened for $100. PM me if you are interested.

Shikaroka
11/17/2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Curtis1
I got another bun in the oven due Jan !!!!! That might put a big kink in things !!!!

Congratulations!
I got another one due in early May.

odoprelude
11/17/2004, 09:54 AM
whew.. I'm too young for kids....heh

Shikaroka
11/17/2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by odoprelude
whew.. I'm too young for kids....heh

LOL, yeh me too.