PDA

View Full Version : 180g is looking good

dsb1829
11/20/2001, 02:48 PM
:D

Well, we have the 180g tank back up and running. It has been about 3-4weeks. Probably closer to three. I didn't detect any cycling events with all of the cured LR that was used (approximately 100lb). We have had star polyps and zoanthids in the tank from the beginning, which have been open every day.

About a week ago we added our first fish, a barhead rabbitfish. This is a hearty fish with tang-like tendencies, only a bit less aggressive. A few days later we added a foxface rabbit, which has become the best of buds with the first. Serious algae grazers. I haven't been feeding them much because their bellies are so full and bulging from their algae gorging.

Well, this weekend we added most of our sps back into the tank. All appear to be quite happy with the new digs. Time will tell. We have a bit of brown diatoms on the center sand in the front, but I will put our cucumber back into the tank shortly to take care of that.

I have been getting live sand from anywhere I can to seed the tank. Now we have lots of worms and critters in the sand. There were very few before, hope these guys take off and make lots of babies:D .

Plumbing is obviousley done. Well, I still need to connect the 72g to the sump and dolphin pump. But the majority of it is complete. This includes a closed loop run by a dolphin pump at 3600gph and a shared circulation/overflow loop that is run by an ampmaster 3000gph. The shared loop draws from a 60g sump and feeds the 180g, the 72g, protien skimmer, and Ca reactor.

Okay, so it is kind of a long winded post. I just wanted to give all an update on the tanks. In the next few weeks the 55g that we have been using as a holding tank will be taken down and the rest of the corals and fish will be added to the 180g. Then we get to wait and watch the corals grow:D

Tenner
11/20/2001, 11:09 PM
Way to go DSB,

Most people would have bailed out of the hobby after a 180g crash. Glad to hear things are going well. One of these days you will have to explain your plumbing to me, sounds like you have enough pump power to create mini tidal waves in the tank.

See ya
Matthew

DC321
11/20/2001, 11:21 PM
Great job with the comeback. I am just getting over the total crash of my 120.

After a while you just figure, "I will have to start over. It's only money."

It still hurts bad, and I feel badly for the animals.

Good luck,
Dan

dsb1829
11/21/2001, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I have taken it as more of an obstacle than a catastrophe. Realistically all that was lost was about 400lb of mixed substrates and about 4 corals. Some of the survivors aren't looking too great, but most are doing great. A big thank you goes out to Greenbud (chris) who did babysitting on about 7 of my acro colonies for the last month and a half. I was really lucky to have a spare 55g sitting there that I used as a holding tank for the rest of my corals. Oh, we also still have Erin's dad's tank occupied as well with about 6 corals. So needless to say this wasn't a heartbreaker of a tank crash. All of the fish came through without a hitch, as did most of the corals.

I suppose the fact that we had to move anyways also helped push us over the edge to re-start the tank. It just seemed like the perfect opportunity to remove the things we weren't sure of and do it right from the start.

wuelfman
11/22/2001, 09:25 PM
pictures man pictures
we NEED PICTURES :D

SunfishFun
11/24/2001, 07:23 PM
Great tank comeback! How are you doing on live sand and worms? Ever in Walnut Creek area or SF? If so, I'd be happy to give you a couple cups of sand with extra bristleworms b/c I have tons of them everywhere.

dsb1829
11/26/2001, 08:28 PM
Here is one

dsb1829
11/26/2001, 08:29 PM
Another