PDA

View Full Version : Who has a LPS only or species specific tank?

Jeremy Blaze
11/13/2004, 10:03 AM
IF so please tell us what and why you decided to do this instead of a mixed tank of other type. What have you down differently or special to make your tank a better home for lps?

coralite
11/13/2004, 11:23 AM
I do I do!!! Well i have a lot of disc corals, a XL scolymia and Cynarina and a variety of other "wide" corals so I needed a tank with a lot of surface area and not much height. I really like seeing these guys from the top so I set them up in a 30 gallon breeder tank, 36x18x14. It is also much easier to handfeed a bunch of individual polyps some large chunks of shrimp from above in a shallow tank. I have only 20 lbs of rock to prop up the favids and acan in the back where the flow is a little more direct. The only thing I have in there besides lps is 2 types of xenia, whic are also great for viewing from above, and a couple shrimp.Also, To encourage good expansion my lps corals prefer a gentle flow so I have only 2 rio 90 powerheads in there. man talk about a change of pace from an sps tank, $25 for the 2 rios vs 1 iwaki. I am using 2 vho and 1 T5 for lighting so not too much spent there either.

davejnz
11/13/2004, 11:24 AM
I have a LPS tank,left side is all Euphyllia spp.,right side is mostly Faviids, maze brains(platygyra) and Favites with some Caulaustrea and Trachyphyllia for the SB.Got a few Caaribbean LPS(Manicina areolata,Cladocora) in there too.My first reef several yrs ago was all softies and i just got tired of them.I wanted a pure LPS tank that i could feed heavily and not have to worry about softies(allelopathy,spreading all over the LR,etc..)The only thing I had to do was modify my flow for the Euphyllia spp. and isolate them to keep them from aggresive attacks on other genus.Surprisingly,they have never produced sweepers in my tank.The other side of my tank has a bit more flow for the Faviids.I had considered MH but chose 2T5daylights and 2VHO act.The diffused light from flourescents help to light the undersides of those boulder-type corals and gets some light to the overhangs where low-light LPS like to be.

brahm
11/14/2004, 04:11 AM
80% of my tank is LPS, with exception of some xenia..a few montis, and a leather... I feed my corals..thats about it.

JENnKerry
11/19/2004, 07:10 AM
Our tank is primarily LPS with the exception of an orange monti-digita, a few softies and a green millepora.

njmar1
11/26/2004, 02:07 AM
I have a 55 gallon for my softies and a 45 gallon for SPS. I used to have everything in the 45 but with a Devil's Hand, Toadstool, and Green Sinularia SPS died pretty readilly. Now everything is growing out well.