11/13/2004, 12:16 AM
ok
what is this lil gem?
you can see a few of the coralites on the right

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3792211-12-04__Small_.JPG

TIA

davejnz
11/13/2004, 12:26 AM
Cant really see the corallites too well,they appear to be joined so i would guess Favites.

rockdr
11/13/2004, 12:37 AM
they actually do not appear to share corallites, looks very different from my other favites but not quite favia either? that's as close a pic as I could get, I really need some lessons on this camera.
thanks

davejnz
11/13/2004, 01:31 AM
try taking the coral out of the water if possible,then taking a pic of the corallites.So,the corallites dont share a common wall?

mane3215
11/13/2004, 10:11 AM
my guess is favites as well.

rockdr
11/13/2004, 12:48 PM
Guess I'll look at Aims then and try to figure out which one. It looks very different from my other favites, coralites as well as polyp extension an feeder tentacles- just got it yesterday, I like the bright green centers. did you notice the faint striping that radiates out from the center? I didnt realize that favites had that.
thanks all

davejnz
11/13/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by rockdr
Guess I'll look at Aims then and try to figure out which one. It looks very different from my other favites, coralites as well as polyp extension an feeder tentacles- just got it yesterday, I like the bright green centers. did you notice the faint striping that radiates out from the center? I didnt realize that favites had that.
thanks all
What kind of tissue expansion are you getting with this coral?How do the feeders differ from your other Favites?I have a Favites that has a speckled green coming out of the valleys to the top of the corallite

rockdr
11/13/2004, 02:07 PM
dave
the polyps are more way more expaneded than my other favites. there really isnt an indention in the center more puffy all over the colony. the colony is a more flattened lobe not really a rouned mountain. there was a ring of tentacles around the mouths when it fed last night (I just got it yesterday) more like my calustra. the mouth kin of puckers up to a point rather than being down in the center. my ohter favites has these ultra long more like sweepers. an the mouth is down in the valley.

I looke at Aims an the favites it most closely resembles is the Favites bestae but it really looks closer to Acan Subechinata bc/ it has a more bubble striations than a straight line. (accoriding to those pics) anway... I really like it an it was only 29$
I dont care if it's anyhting fancy. Im just anal and like to know what I have

thanks for your continued help
Kelsey

davejnz
11/13/2004, 02:13 PM
Its definately not an Acan,it doesn't have the ragged teeth on the septa characteristic of all the Musiids.See if you can get a closeup of the corallites

brahm
11/13/2004, 06:08 PM
it's acanthastrea inyourdreamsa

lol jk

it's some sort of favia imop get a closeup

rockdr
11/13/2004, 06:54 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/37922DSCN0044__Small_.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/37922DSCN0047__Small_.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/37922brain.JPG

Ok I took him out of the tank, used the old camera and this is what I got
does that help any better?
really buggin me now! and you know,the more pics I look at the more confused I get!
thanks again

davejnz
11/13/2004, 11:28 PM
Well,I'm not 100% but it looks like there are paliform lobes on the septa.Wish the corallites were in better condition so you could get a more detailed pic.Probably not much help but Goniastrea often have them.Good luck with the ID,hope you figure it out.

yoshiod9
11/14/2004, 03:52 AM
when you figure it out, feel free to frag that bad boy! it's really quite lovely! =)

rockdr
11/14/2004, 10:18 AM
I think you are right Dave- Goniastrea, seems to be a match. thanks again for your assistance. I had to look up what a paliform lobe was! :-)

Yoshi
Im always up for fraggin, LMK

I had been eyeing this lavenar Favites at the same store, but for some reason, this one really kept catching my eye- Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder right!

thanks again
Kelsey