PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback is splitting..

DJ88©
11/18/2001, 08:58 PM
I have done some reading and as well had a local reefer mention to me that it isn't usual for these particular anemones to split. It is usually through the release of eggs n sperm. Not a split like BTA's. Anyone ever hear of this? Have any info?

I am recording all the tank paramters as it is happening. I am hoping both halves survive. This did happen after my tank crashed due to a heater sticking on a few weeks ago. The anemone is eating, and still has quite a potent sting to it. I touched it by accident yesterday. It has shrunk in this pic which I am sure is due to what is happeneing right now.

The water params are as follows

33gallon
1x250W MH
3x95WVHO
45 lbs LR between tank and sump.
6"DSB
Temp 80
ph 8.4
alk 12
salinity 1.025
no detectable ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

After the tank crashed I did three 10 gallon water changes plus cleaned out all corals that survived(as well as the dead). The tank did go up to 94 degrees overnight.

Had a few survivors and they are back in the tank or never left.

Cup coral, Swollen brain, two maxima clams some Montipora dig.'s plus an acro as well as a gorgonian. . All are in great health again with the exception of the gorgonian.

http://members.home.net/darren0469/saddleback_split.jpg

deb
11/19/2001, 05:45 PM
I don't know about the question of splitting. But I was wondering if your clowns have taken to this anemone?

DJ88©
11/19/2001, 10:35 PM
Oh yes they have.. almost a year ago now. :)

deb
11/19/2001, 10:41 PM
I wish mine would split! It's huge!!!

Aquaman
11/20/2001, 09:00 PM
Yes it is very rare for Haddoni carpets to split. These type usually spawn eggs or sperm. The Tank crash instigated the survival instinct for the anemone. If you keep your tank parameters good and keep it well fed you may be the lucky guy! I did once see a giant carpet with a bud on the underside, the carpet was about 18" in diameter and was a medium yellow color. It had been severely stressed by two shipments and did not make it.

Gary Majchrzak
08/11/2002, 12:37 PM
DJ88: Did the S. haddoni ever end up splitting?