PDA

View Full Version : Wave Maker

1package
11/09/2004, 04:50 PM
It is tough to keep up with this bunch - if you do not read the threads everyday, by the time you want to respond the topic has taken a 180. One thread started out photos to tank inhabitants, to equipment (I might have had a hand in that ), to cameras, to mantis shrimp - and I do not know where it ended. At some point we need to start new threads......so I am.

I purchased one of the power strip wave makers over a year ago before Barry started selling them just due to price. It was what I was looking for but with less flexibility. I would like the lights off mode and better individual power head control.

I understand the advantages of the Tunze but doesn't it still only offer a jet from one source/direction? Would you still not be better off with the $45 power strip and 3 power heads in different areas (sources) in the tank?

I am looking to upgrade but the route you guys were suggesting was not a route I was considering although I am definitely open to change, I just do not see big advantages. Please clear my vision.

MattG
11/09/2004, 06:49 PM
if you havent seen a tunze in action you just cant understand.

if you are thinking of upgrading your water flow/wave making id highly suggest you find someone that has a tunze and see for yourself.

with a single electronically controlled tunze you will get LOTS of random flow. the polyps on my corals sway back and forth constantly. with the powerhead pulsing from 30% to 100% you will tons of random flow.

i think a pwerstrip wavemaker and regular powerheads work great but if you are looking to upgrade a tunze is going to be your best bet IMO

are you thinking of going with a stream or turbelle?

if you cant find someone closer to you, you are more then welcome to check mine out.

firefish2020
11/09/2004, 07:21 PM
IMO the stream is worth every cent. I was originally planning on a bank of 4! MJ-1200s on each side of my tank, not only was this just uggly the MJ1200s produce a small amount of heat to your system. One two or even three total will not cause much in the line of thermal problems but add 8 and you have the potential to up the temp by a degree or so plus each MJ12 uses about 8watts of power. Even with this bank setup I would only get around 1800 gph each cycle, and that would be ok but SPS need more turbulence and the TUNZEstream with a controller produces way more turbulence than a bank of 8 MJs on a WM could. Plus the Tunze uses less electricity and has the advantage of just being one "powerhead" rather than a lot of powerheads all pointing in different directions. What it does is unreal and I for one am glad that Matt and Bruce talked me into getting one and I havent even put it in the tank yet LOL all my opinions are based on tests I conducted on it to make sure it ran ok. By the way Norbertt TUNZE created the very first powerhead in the 60s just something about that says it all.

pappygonefishin2002
11/09/2004, 09:34 PM
Although I cant have one , it would blow the glass outta my little tank but I see nothing on the market like it as far as volume of water flow from a single head, and its small profile, it rules! There is one other alternative Ive found thats a lot cheaper that might suit your needs! Marine depot has 2 high volume pumps u could operate off your wavemaker called a (Seio) they are 5"x2" the M620 is 37.95 at 8 watts and 620 gph..... The M820 is 52.95 at 820 gph but uses 18watts, I have 2 620s coming tomorrow! Just thought Id throw that out to ya if your interested Ill test em and let ya know how they do. I liked them because they are square and flat, not like most other heads

LowCel
11/09/2004, 10:50 PM
I'm interested in hearing what you think of them Cliff. I'm not planning on getting any of them but I am just curious. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on them. They may be just the thing for smaller tanks though.

1package
11/10/2004, 09:38 AM
Alright guys, I'm still not sold or understanding I guess. I thought I saw when looking at the specs. on the Tunze that it was high wattage = high heat, but heat is really not an issue. As far as moving a lot of water, not really my big preference either, especially if it is all coming from one spot. I do understand that the Tunze does not shoot a jet, more of a spray, covering more area - very good, definitely a plus. The Tunze has better controls - settings for reduced night flow, more precise on/off timing, etc....again a plus.

I have returns on each side of the 125g from a mag 12 and a little giant split pumping into my frag section of the sump and the other through the chiller back to a T in the center of my 125g. So on the top of the water in my main tank I am sending it 4 ways but it is all constant.

The big negative (in my mind) to the Tunze is still the flow is coming from one direction and it cost $300. Currently I am using 4 powerheads located in different areas on the random timer, 2 are somewhat concealed, two are out there flapping away with those RIO propellor add ons. It is ugly that is for sure, two visible power heads.- random timer that the power strip.

I am thinking that I am still ahead to go wave maker with more programing options and keep the powerheads due to the ability to produce flow from more than one source.

I realize you guys are not Tunze sells reps., yet? But I do not want to spend $200 and then say, "Oh, I see now".

Help me out here, what am I missing? thanks

LowCel
11/10/2004, 09:54 AM
Basicly, you just have to see it. You are more than welcome to come view my tank anytime to see one in action.

On paper the wavemaker seems like a better idea. However in real life it will never compare to a tunze. I remember when Matt told me he was getting one, I thought he was nuts. It wasn't until I saw it in action that I became a believer.

1package
11/10/2004, 10:02 AM
I appreciate the offer, I thought I saw one time you were up 77 toward Goldtown?

Also, I am still attempting the photo thing. I need a photo software to resize - shrink. I turned down the resolution and someone promised to bring in software everyday for the past week to the office, and again today.

LowCel
11/10/2004, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I am 1/2 mile off of the Goldtown exit.

MattG
11/10/2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 1package
looking at the specs. on the Tunze that it was high wattage = high heat, quite the opposite. these things run on little to no power and move vast amounts of water. the 6000 runs on 15 watts and moves 1850 gph. they have the best power consumption/heat ratio of any powerhead on the market.

vijaysub
11/10/2004, 12:31 PM
Tunze's are great but are expensive.
What I am currently doing is using a power wave strip and 3 modified maxijets. I agree it is not as nice as a tunze but does work well. Here is a good thread on modifying a maxijet and about the variable flow direction.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326587&highlight=maxijet+cut

Vijay

1package
11/10/2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks, I am going to give this a try this evening.

firefish2020
11/10/2004, 07:24 PM
LOL yeh I tried that mod it works ok but you still have a hard flow rather than a gentle current that the TUNZE can deliver. If you have never had a TUNZE you cant imagine what it can do. Budget wise MJs are fine but the stream cant be beat.

1package
11/11/2004, 08:41 AM
I tried the mod last night on one of my 1200 mjs. This particular one was located on the bottom left in from of the overflow column on the side wall. After the mod I no longer had the straight stream firing over the rock, against the glass. I had a wide stream firing everywhere. I had to move this powerhead. A mj900 may have been better. The flow does change from left to right but I had to move that particular power head because the flow was still very stong and I could no longer control it. If I had 5-6 nozzles to cut and play with I may be able to make something work here. I was not as excited about this at 10 p.m. last night as I was yesterday when reading the thread.

firefish2020
11/11/2004, 11:17 AM
Thats my result as well, it make s the MJ1200 100% uncontrolable and now it cant be used for anything else. Note on the coral tank at the shop one of the 1200s is moded like this and note where it is and what it does. Thats why I oppted for a TUNZE stream in the home tank rather than a bank of jet washers. The Mjs are a great powerhead in fact they are one of my favorites out there but for anyone needing a lot of flow everywhere in the tank (no dead spots), IMO the stream is the only answer.

1package
11/12/2004, 10:04 AM
I do not want to drop $300 on the Tunze. Not that I do not think it is worth it, I just have other places (tank related) that I could drop that kind of money and have a more significant impact at this time.
I do think for now I am going to get one of those SCWDs and remove two of my mj1200s, and use a Mag 5 exterally in a closed loop, as shown on Melev's reef. Man that guy has some good things going on.

coralreefer
11/12/2004, 10:25 AM
LOL
I was just re-reading this thread and was going to suggest you look into a SCWD.