PDA

View Full Version : LPS and ZEOvit

Bojan
11/09/2004, 10:51 AM
I started to use ZEOvit 6 weeks ago. SPS corals are more colorfull now, but most polips of my LPS are smaller, not so opened as before I started to use ZEOvit.

Do you have any experiences with ZEOvit and LPS ?

porky
11/09/2004, 01:41 PM
No experience with Zeovit but I do know that most LPS come from fairly nutrient rich waters and since Zeovit depletes your water of nutrients I can see where it might be determintal to your LPS. From what I understand, I think Zeovit works best with SPS tanks.
Good Luck!

Julio
11/09/2004, 04:14 PM
The reason why is because Zeovit is supposed to reduce the nutrient levels in sps tanks, lps do a lot better with high nutirents.

Bojan
11/10/2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks Julio and Porky

Gary Majchrzak
11/12/2004, 06:22 AM
Verry Interesting. Anybody else care to weigh in?

bluereefs
11/12/2004, 06:45 AM
I still think that is not posiblle to reduce nutrients in aquarium bellow natural sea water levell so I never understend "fact" that lps coralls need higher level of nutrients.
Personally in Bojan case I think reason for his lps behaviour is suden change in water chemistry and better light penetration (spelling??) due to high water clarity cause by zeolit system.
Generally reefers who switch to "low nutrients system" in most cases change their usual aquarium mainteance(much much less tank feding,more water changes...) what is another stress for coralls.

MiddletonMark
11/12/2004, 07:55 AM
No experience with that system.

SPS and many LPS corals are not extensively mixed together in nature. This would lead me to believe that they don't desire the same conditions, so the nutrient levels in my experience make sense at least for lagoonal corals.

Lighting may have something to do with it if your water quality has cleaned up, as bluereefs also mentioned. Regular carbon use and water changes, among other things, can definitely increase light penetration, and with halides ....

Also his good point about changes in the tank, husbandry, and water chemistry. It wouldn't suprise me to see such a reaction if changing salt [IMO] ... so thus with any water chem. change I wouldn't be shocked.

I'd think that given time and perhaps feeding them ... you could see whether it's just the change of chemistry/light, feeding, or whether the nutrients/conditions are not preferrable to them.

Just my take. Good luck, keep us updated ... it's an interesting topic.

Julio
11/12/2004, 01:16 PM
Lps do better in lagoons, which is usually where they are found in the reefs, unlike sps which are found in high flowing currents.

invincible569
12/31/2004, 04:26 PM
There is a new product that ZEOvit offers for LPS that you may want to look into on captiveoceans.com

invincible569
12/31/2004, 04:57 PM
Its Amino Acids specifically for LPS and here is the info on it:

This product is a high quality food source based on amino acids, designed specifically for large polyped stony corals (LPS) such as Cynarina, Blastomusa, Welsophylia, Symphylia, Musidae, Fungias, Heliofungias, and Catalaphylia. Corals expand their tissue immediately after dosing. Regular dosing has a positive impact on coral growth. It can help in the regeneration process of damaged corals. We recommend to use this product especially during the initial change of the system to a low nutrient environment, because the slow acclimation of these coral species. We recommend dosing 1 ml per 50 gallons daily. Reduce the dosing amount if the tissue color of the corals becomes browner.

Narkon
12/31/2004, 05:30 PM
Well, does that mean you can have both sps and lps in the same system?

invincible569
12/31/2004, 06:35 PM
I dont see why not. I dont think its a ZEOvit problem. Narkon, you saw my Candy Cane and its getting puffy and big and it sits in my refugium of the ZEo tank. It hasnt closed up at all. I also have that Fungia. I dont have much LPS, but for those two I can speak for. i will see if I can get my hands on this product and see what it does for my LPS. I will get my hands on some cherry LPS to see what it does to it :)

Narkon
12/31/2004, 07:27 PM
When you get tired of the cherry lps, you can call me.

Its that whole debate about sps needing low nutrients and LPS needing high. But that is just a debate with no end.

I need to make a trip up that way some time in the future to see yours and Fishcraze tank. Maybe going on to see SueT, just have to see, but that will be at least 3 months away, have to send you pic when I get the reasons in for no gas money. haha

invincible569
12/31/2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Narkon
When you get tired of the cherry lps, you can call me.

Its that whole debate about sps needing low nutrients and LPS needing high. But that is just a debate with no end.

Tell me about it. It was said that SPS needed to be fed too. That was a phase everyone went through. I dont feed anything. Not even my rose. They are all photosynthetic.

DeepBlue8
01/01/2005, 12:12 AM
I am running my tank with the zeovit system ever since I started my new tank 2-3 months back. Have been keeping lots of LPS and softies in my tank with my SPS without much prob. Most of my LPS are doing well with a lot of good colours as well. M sps colours are holding quite alright as well.

Simiarly to invincible569, I do not dose anyting for the LPS. I only use the Zeofood and aminoacid.....no LPS casualty so far
Actually, the 'mulm' released from the medium contains bacterias that are used as food and act as nutrients for the corals.(captive ocean zeovit guide claimed)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/34820tank_26dec2004x.JPG

invincible569
01/01/2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks DeepBlue for sharing your ZEOvit experience. I posted a thread on the ZEOvit forum about LPS and will soon see if we all share the same positive experience in low nutrient waters.