PDA

View Full Version : Aquaria & Vodka, Part II

melev
11/08/2004, 03:27 AM
Eric,

Nice article. It started off with some sarcasm toward claims in Europe, switched over to the benefits of a DSB, and ended with adding more corals. :lol:

When are you coming up to Ft Worth so we can nail down my PO4 issues? ;) I'm ready to add a truck load of SPS - my VISA still has room on it.

reefgal
11/08/2004, 02:43 PM
Eric,

You crack me up!

Of course I'm completely with you on the issue of water changes. When I tell members of my reef club that I do a weekly 42 gallon water change on my 220 gallon tank, you ought to see their faces. They bemoan the expense of all that salt, then run right out and invest several hundred dollars in another gadget which will be laying on the garage floor in a couple of months. Go figure!

Sandy

M.Maddox
11/09/2004, 12:35 AM
Nice sig reefgal - I feel the same, every day.

On my measly 40 gallon reef (me=poor marine biology student) I have approx. 4 small corals and one Bulb tipped anemone (almost saved enough for some more corals ^ ^). Even with this low bio-load, I still perform a 12 gallon water change every Friday. Tank looks\tests gret - I'm all for water changes.

ReefDiver
11/09/2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Eric:

Hope that your Fiji trip went well. Not just because we are friends but that was a brillant treatise on just another not so well founded "theory". If I have learned anything from your wisdom over these past few years it's that DSB's and water changes are two of the main components for keeping a successful reef tank, PERIOD!!

OK, so next time we get together what kind of Vodka are we drinking??? :)

peerboerner
11/10/2004, 04:28 PM
Eric,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and conviction with such clarity. It boggles my mind how you have the time to prepare and publish for us such compelling work. Thanks.

kazzoo3
11/12/2004, 11:28 AM
Eric,

I read your article with interest, primarily because I am on the fence with regards to DSB or not to DSB. I've read many of the threads discounting the long term stability of the DSB, but fully understand the benefits of a DSB. Given those benefits, why are they experiencing problems after several years?

In part two of your article, you stated that such problems were the result of mismanagement. Can you please expound on such mismanagement?

Thanks,
Tim

romunov
11/26/2004, 03:46 PM
Eric, you might be interested in an article in Nature magazine, 28.10.2004 (or October 28 2004 :) ), p. 1092.