PDA

View Full Version : flOW RATE FOR CLAM-PLEASE ADVISE

MROK12
11/17/2001, 10:06 PM
JUST GOT A SMALL T MAXIMA ABOUT 1.5 INCES. ON THE SAND BED. DOES CLAMS PREFER HIGH WATER FLOW OR SHOULD IT BE IN A PROTECTED LOW FLOW AREA? FIRST CLAM. LIGHTING IS 2-250WATT 10K MH ON 65 GALLON PLUS 110 WATT OF PC ACTINIC.

RhondaJ
11/18/2001, 10:41 AM
I don't want to repeat what you may already know. But here goes. OK, clams this small do not feed off the light light the larger clams do therefore in order to keep them alive they must be fed. I does with live DT pytoplankton twice a week and cryopaste once a week. I have a small maxima clam that has grown to about 2 inces now. Also I have him on the snad and he has moved himself where he wants to be as far as current goes. I placed him a bit out of the current but there is an 8 inch maxima next to him that I guess was blocking too much of the current so the small clam moved a bit to where he can get more current. So unless he is attached to a large rock and not able to move easily I wouldn't worry about it he will move where he wants to be as long as you put him where he can move.

Physh1
11/20/2001, 12:42 AM
Smaller clams are almost total filter feeders like stated above. They only start to photosynthesize about the 3" and larger size and become less filter feeding dependant but still utilize it. They do not like direct flow....indirect flow is best...

Cameron