PDA

View Full Version : Reactor setup

SHOmuchFUN
11/07/2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I've got the reactor running.

So far, no real problems, except that the MAG pump is pretty loud and leaked. A little GOOP helped the leaking problem, but it's still fairly loud. Personally, I think bubble counters are worthless. It spurts a bunch of different sized bubbles at varying times, it's kinda stupid, so I've just been guaging my effluent PH. I've got it running at 6.8 right now, but that took a WHILE to finally get it dialed in. Those needle valves are VERY touchy and the bubble counter is of NO help at all. It's all about TWEAKING.

Flow rate is controlled with a screwing pinch valve which seems to be working okay. I get about 20ml a minute right now, but it's not 100% constant. The feed pump is a RIO 180 :rolleye1:... Not too psyched about it, but it's what Jeff sends out with his reactors, so I'll try it for a bit, but do have a couple MJ900s for backup.

I bought a calcium test kit for the first time... Is it possible to have calcium above 500? When I worked through the salifert kit, I went all the way down to 0 on the syringe, and the solution only turned a purple color and NOT the sky blue. I had been dosing a LOT of B-ionic, but is it possible to get your calcium level this high? I also tested my ALK and that was fairly low ~6ish

I added some REEF BUILDER to set a standard alkalinity level.

I noticed that my Ph was swinging like a trapeze artist before I started the reactor. It would get to about 7.8ish at night and swing up to 8.4ish at night :eek1: Now it's swinging from 7.8 to 8ish. MUCH better. Hopefully this reactor will inhibit some more stability in the system. This may have to do with the difficulty that I've had keeping fish lately.

So... Sound alright so far?

Anybody recommend any good places to get some fish (online or LFS?) I'm refusing the Pet Dissadvantage's fish right now, although I almost bought an Anthias and Flasher Wrasse the other day.

Brad A.
11/07/2004, 08:20 PM
Reefermadness.us is my fav place for fish.

You'll have to test the alk on your tank everyday until you get the reactor "dialed in".

The pH will swing on small tanks like a 55gallon when a ca reactor is hooked up. My 65 pH swings as well, but not too bad. The aquacontroller will turn the CO2 off if the pH <8.0

Later

SHOmuchFUN
11/07/2004, 10:24 PM
I have my heart set on blk/white saddleback clowns. Fishybusiness in RI is supposed to be getting some in next week. I practically told them that I would castrate him if he sold all of them without holding a pair for me... We'll see though.

Any other fish you'd recommend from reefermadness's site? I was thinking about an Anthias: http://www.reefermadness.us/images/Pseudanthias-pleurotaeniaMQLD2.jpg
or this Doliatus Rabbitfish:
http://www.reefermadness.us/images/Siganus_doliatusFJ.jpg

I have my Milwaukee to turn my CO2 off when the tank water gets to 7.8 It'll dose CO2 when pH>7.9 so it has significantly reduced the swinging effect. PH today didn't get much above 8.1 which is substantially greater than the 8.4-8.5 I was getting without it. It will probably drop to 7.8 tonight, but the PH controller will stop dosing CO2 at that level.

Effluent pH dipped pretty low today, to around 6.6. I'm trying to run it at 6.8, but the needle valve is so damn touchy, it's been hard. I have it pretty close right now, but it's okay.

I tested ALK today as well and it is up from 6.4 yesterday, to 8 today. I DID dose a little reef builder which is probably attributed to much of the change, but I have a feeling that the reactor had something to do with it.

Effluent has remained at a constant 20ml/min which I feel is a pretty decent drip rate. It's about 1.5-2 drips/sec.

SHOmuchFUN
11/08/2004, 09:43 AM
I was also thinking that this fish would make a great addition to the reef :D

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2047

tsalter
11/09/2004, 02:38 PM
If you get one order two. You can hold it for me until I get the money right? It might be a few years. LOL, *** is up with that? misprint or what

SHOmuchFUN
11/09/2004, 02:44 PM
:lol:

No misprint... Those pygmy angelfish (centropyge sp.) are SUPER expensive. Apparently they are VERY rare here in the US, but ironically, I've found them on a few different sites. Liveaquaria being the most expensive (but not by much).

nolofinwe
11/09/2004, 11:00 PM
My squareback anthias is my favorite fish. A little bit of a dick, but otherwise a great addition.

SHOmuchFUN
11/10/2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by nolofinwe
My squareback anthias is my favorite fish. A little bit of a dick, but otherwise a great addition.

Cool! I heard they are a bit difficult to keep...

nolofinwe
11/10/2004, 08:30 AM
knock on wood - 6 months, so far so good.

SHOmuchFUN
11/10/2004, 08:32 AM
Brad's sunburst anthias is beautiful, but is a bit more expensive.
I need to get something that is going to graze on some macro as well. Since adding the calcium reactor, I've noticed a small insurgence of macro-algea. I had a foxface rabbitfish for a while before it became victim to my Haddoni, and it was picking at EVERYTHING like crazy. I've heard that the doliatus will do the same.

SHOmuchFUN
11/10/2004, 09:29 AM
Tested my alkalinity the other day and it was down to 7.6-7.7 from 8.0 the night before. I may try and run a little more CO2 into it, but seems like I'm driving the CO2 into the reactor pretty hard. My effluent is steady at about 6.8, but need to test it again today. Looks like I need to run it a little harder at about 6.7. Stupid because ARM suggests a PH of 7+
Effluent is also steady at about 20ml/min.

Corals seems to be doing great, except for a bleaching part of my cap.
http://www.uvm.edu/~eengstro/cap_STN.jpg