PDA

View Full Version : anyone use GVA seawater?

chrishei
11/06/2004, 10:39 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried and liked the seawater they sale at GVA. I use to get my water from the same place when i lived in san diego. Thanks for the posts:D

opihi
11/07/2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Chris,
GVA uses some of that water in their reef & invert tanks. from what i know, it is the same catalina water that is sold in LFS around the west coast.

hth,
jeff

chrishei
11/07/2004, 11:46 PM
thanks opihi Ill give it a try.

dallast
11/08/2004, 07:19 PM
i have been using this water for over a year now and my tanks are significantly better! i have seen increased growth and decreased presence of nuisance algae.

i don't get the water from gva directly, but get it from there source (i think), george at seawater express. he has a shrimp farm in pahrump and this is his unused water.

i don't think i can ever go back to synthetic salt....

LVfishguy
11/08/2004, 07:23 PM
Yup, George is the guy. It's nice to use on small tanks bacuase it isn't so expensive...I like to think that it is a little better than the catalina water though. I spent a lot of time off the coast of Catalina on the ship. I guess it really isn't much of a diference but I guess that it just me....

opihi
11/08/2004, 09:50 PM
So Chris,
are you saying that this isn't Catalina water? if so, do you know its source?

dallast
11/08/2004, 11:17 PM
by "catalina" water, i think you mean the company Catalina Water (http://www.catalinawater.com). i believe this is the company that supplies george at seawater express. but what's even better about this water is that he filters it again! he runs it through ozone and uv one more time for good measure! check out his site at Seawater Express (http://www.seawaterexpress.com).

try some, you'll love it!

chrishei
11/11/2004, 02:23 AM
The water source they use is from the research peer in san diego. The owner of Octupus Garden down in sd said its available to the public because of all the state grants the college used to build the multi million dollar peer and filtration systems. I use to get the water for my water changes and it worked great. If Im not mistaken that is what GVA uses.

LVfishguy
11/11/2004, 02:42 AM
That sounds like the right stuff....

SimplyFast
11/15/2004, 12:14 PM
its research grade water from san diego.

i tested its pH on saturday and found it to be at 7.8.