PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Placement

deb
11/17/2001, 09:54 AM
Hi all!

I have a blue carpet & a LTA in my tank. Neither have moved from the place where I put them origionally.

I also have 2 false percs (I assume they are false percs because they were only $10 each). They haven't been interested in either anemone and have made their home in the front corner of my tank.

Should I move one of the anemones to the place they seem to call home or will they eventually relocate to one of the anemones?

The blue carpet has been in my tank for about 3 weeks and the LTA for 1 week. The pair of clowns have been there for about 3 months.

Dan
11/19/2001, 09:02 PM
Hello Deb,

Moving the anemones will not encourage the clowns to adopt them. The fish will just swim elsewhere. A few things:

Fautin and Allen report A. ocellaris uses H. magnifica, S. gigantea, and S. mertensii as their natural host. They may not like your anemones (M. doreensis and S. hadonni?). In captivity, clowns can adopt other species of anemone, however, they may not. I have a few clowns in non-native hosts just fine.

Are the anemones accepting food yet? In my expereince, they won't until they bury their stalks and get "comfortable".

The anemones have not been in the tank for very long (neither have the clowns). Be patient. Let things settle in. The clowns may eventually adapt these anemones.

Good luck.

Dan

deb
11/19/2001, 09:19 PM
Thanks!

Both anemones are eating well. They haven't refused anything yet! I've given them shrimp, squid, and freeze dried krill. They gobble it all up!

I'm thinking that these clowns are probably young. They're about 3/4 of an inch long.

My problem is that after seeing a clown with a host in a LFS I fell in love! Hopefully, this will happen in my tank soon!

Dan
11/20/2001, 09:01 PM
My problem is that after seeing a clown with a host in a LFS I fell in love! Hopefully, this will happen in my tank soon!

I know what you mean. The clown/anemone relationship has always been the most fascinating to me, too.

Dan

Aquaman
11/20/2001, 09:10 PM
Nope a false perc with not host with the Haddoni carpet. It will eat them quite well though :( Try the saddle back clown, I have a mated pair that make home to 3 Haddoni carpets.