PDA

View Full Version : mantis + macros ????

ISFRAEL
11/16/2001, 08:01 PM
i recnetly put some caulepra macro algae in my tank and my mantis has been pulling it out and pulling it into his burrow?

its not near his burrow so i dont think its bothering him?

anyone every had this experience?

Death Shrimp99
11/16/2001, 09:23 PM
Mine does the same thing. I guess they just dont like it or think its annoying. Or mabe just haveing fun cutting it!:D I would be pretty bored just sitting in a tank all the time.

Moltenllama
11/20/2001, 07:41 PM
My problem is the opposite. Caulpera takes over my tank in a week if I dont cut it back constantly. Runt ignores it, and the fish i had that were nibbling it are all dead by his hand, well, raptorial appendage.

In fact, he switched burrows to a rock that had a lot of the macro growing on it. I'm guessing he likes the seclusion, or the view, or who knows.

orkspace
11/20/2001, 08:12 PM
My two O. scyllarus shrimp used to bury and rearrange the caulerpa in the tank, but never caused any harm to it. My G. platysoma has ignored completely the caulerpa.

I'm going to need to do some pruning myself in a day or two.

Gonodactylus
11/21/2001, 12:56 AM
Nitrate is a real enemy of stomatopods. All the stomatopods I have kept do great in tanks loaded with algae, so keep growing and pruning the stuff (except for some reds and filimentous algae that can grow on the stomatopods and cause problems). They acquire great color and seem to have less trouble molting.

Roy