PDA

View Full Version : Need MH advice

WILDTHING
11/04/2004, 10:44 AM
I have been trying to figure out a lighting solution for my 20g (24x12x17). I currently have my 48in Pc strip over it so in effect I have 110w on it. I thought of getting a PC quad for it which is 96w but IMO the 110 is just barely cutting it light wise. I thought of T5's but looking into it the bulbs seem pretty pricey.Even a DIY system was going to be more than I really wanted to spend on a 20g that was supposed to be torn down once my 55 was up. (it is looking so nice I can't bring myself to break it down) That kinda left me with the lighting choice I secretly wanted but didn't want to admit to myself. MH. (Gasp)
After seeing some beautiful tanks and seeing the colors that you get using MH I'm thinking of taking the plunge! I guess what finally sold me was some yellow polops that I got from Dave in Richmond. In his tank they were a lovely buttery yellow, in my 20 with 110w of PC they are a brownish yellow, still pretty and doing great but the buttery yellow had a nicer color.

I don't have any plans to do anything that needs a great deal of light, just softies, shrooms, polops and possibly a lower light stony or two. With only 12 inches of width to work with, I don't want to add additional actinic bulbs so I was thinking of going with the xm 20k bulb. Hellolights has a Coralife pendant that I can sub the 20k bulb with but that system with shipping will run about 250 dollars, way more than I want to spend on this little tank. Any suggestions on how to get this going for 150 or so? I personally have a phobia of working with electricity but I have a slave (ehem) husband that is great at it. Don't mind putting him to work at all. Is this my pipe dream or can it be done? BTW I have heat considerations during the summer here so that's one reason I'm looking at a pendant.

jfloydr
11/04/2004, 06:16 PM
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=81
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=83
try these maybe?

WILDTHING
11/05/2004, 08:04 AM
Nice stuff, thanks for the link